Your browser is unsupported and may have security vulnerabilities! Upgrade to a newer browser to experience this site in all it's glory.
Skip to main content

Due to a technical issue, some files and images are missing from the website. We're working to restore them as soon as possible. If you urgently need a file that is not accessible, please get in touch with

Part-time and full-time government-funded courses may be free, depending on your circumstances.

Financial support for things like childcare and transport may also be available through the Learner Support Funds. Please contact Student Services if you have any questions on the below!

Could you study for free?

Entry level, level 1 & level 2 Courses.

You may qualify for financial support to cover the cost of a government-funded qualification up to and including level 2 if any of the below apply:

  • Receive an eligible means-tested benefit, e.g. JSA, ESA or Universal Credit
  • Have an annual salary of less than £20,319
  • Are aged 16-18 on 31/08/23 and are not studying at another school/college
  • Do not already have a level 1, 2 or 3 qualification
  • Have a household income under £35,000 and are in financial hardship

Level 3 courses.

Advanced Learner Loans provide financial support towards tuition costs for learners aged 19+ studying a level 3 or higher qualification. The loan is similar to those available for Higher Education students; repayments do not start until you have completed the course and earn at least £25,000. Pensions are not counted as income, and repayments automatically stop if, for any reason, your salary drops below £25,000. More information is available below.

  • You may qualify for financial support to cover the cost of a level 3 qualification if you do not already have a level 3 qualification (this will depend on the course & your age on 31/08/23).
  • You may be eligible for free courses for jobs funding if you are unwaged and claim a benefit, e.g. JSA, ESA or Universal Credit or Working, and have an annual salary of less than £20,319 (this will depend on the course).

Level 3 courses are free to students aged 16-18 on 31/08/23 and not studying at another school/college.

19+ Advanced Learner Loan

If you're planning to study at levels 3 to 6, you can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan to cover the cost of your tuition fees. The loan is easy to apply for, doesn't involve a credit check, and you don't have to pay it back until you've finished your course and earn over £25,000 a year.

Am I eligible?

To be eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan, you need to be:

  • Aged 19 or over on the first day of your course
  • Resident in the UK for three years before the start of the course
  • Enrolling on an eligible course at levels 3, 4, 5 and 6

How much can I access?

The amount you can get depends on your course, the tuition fees and the maximum amounts available for your chosen courses set by the Government. The minimum loan amount is £300, and you don't have to borrow the full cost of your course - you can pay for some of it yourself.

How do I repay my loan?

Repaying an Advanced Learner Loan is straightforward:

  • Monthly repayments are calculated based on your income, not what you borrow.
  • You'll only start making repayments when your yearly income is more than £25,000.
  • Your repayments will stop if your income drops below £25,000 a year.
  • Your annual repayment will be 9% of any income you earn over £25,000.
  • Monthly repayments are made directly to the Student Loans Company through the tax system.
  • You have the right to make payments or to pay back your loan in full at any time without incurring penalties.
  • Any outstanding balances are written off after 40 years.

How do I apply?

Once you have identified the qualification you wish to do, you'll need to contact Kendal College's Student Services to apply for the course. We will provide you with the 'Learning and Funding Information Letter' required when submitting a loan application.

> Download a copy of our 19+ Advanced Learner Loans Information Booklet (PDF)

Bursary & learner support funds

These funds may be able to support you with course fees, and other costs associated with coming to college e.g. transport, meals, childcare, kit, equipment etc.

Find out more about Bursary & Learner Support Funds here.

Degree-level student finance

Government loans & grants.

Please see the government website for full information on Student Finance.

Generally, you will only get student finance if you’re doing your first degree-level qualification. This is true even if your previous course was self-funded.

Whether you qualify for student finance depends on specific criteria. The main student finance package for full-time students includes a tuition fee loan and maintenance loan, and for part-time students, a tuition fee loan to pay for your course. Maintenance loans help with living costs. You have to pay back loans when you earn £25,000 or more.

Access to Learning Fund.

The Access to Learning Fund is a non-repayable discretionary fund that gives students facing hardship extra financial support to access and remain in higher education.

For more information, please get in touch with Student Services:

t 01539 814700

Payment options

Payments can be made via cash, cards and cheques (made payable to Kendal College). If the course fees are more than £200 and the course runs for 15 weeks or more, you can pay in instalments. The direct debit forms are below.

If your employer is paying, a company representative (who has the authority to agree to pay your fees) needs to send a confirmation email to

> Direct Debit Form - 1 x instalment (PDF)
> Direct Debit Form - 2 x instalments (PDF)
> Direct Debit Form - 3 x instalments (over £1000) (PDF)

Fees policy

> Fees Policy (PDF)