Your browser is unsupported and may have security vulnerabilities! Upgrade to a newer browser to experience this site in all it's glory.
Skip to main content

The college prides itself on welcoming students, business clients, and visitors from all backgrounds and abilities. Our staff aim to ensure that you are given the opportunities to develop your knowledge and skills.

Term dates

Our term dates can be found here.

Equality, diversity and disability

The college is committed to ensuring that all students, staff and visitors are treated equally and have full access to our sites and services. If you are a disabled student with specific needs, we will ensure that reasonable adjustments are made to all aspects of the college. We can provide the support you require by disclosing your specific needs to us as soon as possible. If you do not wish to disclose your needs or request that this information remain confidential, we cannot guarantee that appropriate adjustments will be made. Accessible parking spaces are available at all sites. For further advice on the support available, please get in touch with our Student Services Team on 01539 814700.

Payment of fees

> Fees Policy (Word)

Course places cannot be secured until we receive payment (or evidence for assistance with payment). We accept cash, cards and cheques (payable to ‘Kendal College’). You can pay in instalments if your course fees are more than £200 and the course runs for 15 weeks or more. A percentage of the course fee will need to be paid at enrolment, and you must complete a direct debit form at Student Services before starting the course.

Can I study for free?

You may qualify for financial support to cover the cost of a qualification up to and including level 2 if you:

  • Earn less than £25,000 gross per annum
  • are aged 16-18 on 31/08/24 and are not studying at another school/college
  • are aged 19-23 on 31/08/24 and do not already have a level 1 or 2 qualification
  • have a household income under £35,000 and are in financial hardship

Level 3 courses

Advanced Learner Loans provide financial support towards tuition costs for learners aged 19+ studying a level 3 or higher qualification. The loan is similar to those available for Higher Education students; repayments do not start until you have completed the course and earn at least £27,295. Pensions are not counted as income, and repayments automatically stop if, for any reason, your salary drops below £27,295.

If you are aged 19-23 on 31/08/24 and do not already have a full level 3 qualification, you may qualify for financial support to cover the cost of a level 3 qualification.

Free Courses for Jobs is a targeted level 3 adult offer developed to help adults improve their job prospects and wage outcomes and gain the skills that employers value. This applies to specific courses the government sets and will be free to all learners whose earnings are under the £25,000 threshold.

Bursary funds

Financial support is also available to help with education costs, such as childcare, transport, books, equipment, trips, etc.

Contact Student Services or our Student Money page for more information.

Terms and conditions of enrolment

In signing the agreement, you confirm that you agree to the college processing personal data contained in this form or other data the college may obtain from you or others while you are a student. You agree to the processing of such data for any purposes connected with your studies or your health and safety whilst on the premises or for any other legitimate reason.

You also confirm that you have received advice and guidance in preparation for your learning programme covering choice, entry requirements, suitability and support and are satisfied with the process. You accept that your admission as a student is subject to the regulations of the college and the professional judgement of the staff relating to your level of study.

The college reserves the right to withdraw or cancel a programme whenever its viability cannot be assured. Every effort will be made to offer an alternative programme in such circumstances. However, the college cannot guarantee that an acceptable programme will be available at the college.

Refunds & waivers of remaining instalment payments

A refund or waiver of remaining instalment payments will be applicable in the following circumstances:

  • The college cancelled the course.
  • The class day or time changes, preventing learner attendance.
  • Where a learner has paid a fee but is entitled to remission (awarding body costs may still apply).
  • For courses of 5 weeks or less - the learner withdraws/cancels and provides written notice by email or letter at least ten working days before the course start date.
  • When a learner transfers from one course to another, the difference in course fees will be refunded/waivered where applicable. However, the learner will pay the difference if the higher fee applies.
  • Where a complaint has been upheld in relation to the quality of the course.

Where a learner withdraws before and including three weeks of the course start date, a pro-rata refund/fee waiver will be made based on actual attendance, and a £30 Admin fee will be charged.

  • During term 1:
    25% tuition charged
  • During term 2:
    50% tuition charged
  • During term 3:
    100% tuition charged

Refunds/fee waivers outside the above criteria will only be made at the discretion of the Principal and only under exceptional circumstances.

The college will not refund an employer if the learner leaves employment during the course; by agreeing to pay the learner’s fees, the employer is considered responsible for recovering the fees from the learner.

Privacy notices

Kendal College

Kendal College takes privacy seriously and will only use the personal information provided on this form to administer your position as a student with us. All data will be processed lawfully and per Article 6 of the GDPR. The college will occasionally share your data with third parties. For example, it may share some of your data with the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA), Department of Education (DfE), Local Education Authorities (LEA), careers service, English European Social Fund (ESF), Personal Learner Record (LRS), Office for Students (OfS), and its designated debt collection agent.

If you have consented to receive information about courses and/or events from the college, we will keep your data for 3 years for marketing purposes. In line with the Privacy & Electronic Communications Regulations, we won’t share your information with any external parties for marketing. You have the right to request that data be kept accurate and up to date, to contact us about any inaccuracies, or to change your consent by emailing

If you have consented to any of the photo or media questions, this is valid for three years from completion. The consent will automatically expire after this time. You are responsible for letting us know if you want to withdraw or change your agreement at any time. Should you wish to do so, please contact

For further information about using and accessing your personal data, details of organisations with whom the college shares data, information about how long we retain your data, and how to change your consent to being contacted, please visit our privacy page.

Government agencies

This privacy notice explains how the Department for Education (DFE) uses (processes) any personal data you give us or any we may collect about you concerning Key Stage 5 and adult education.

Key Stage 5 and adult education include learners who stay in full-time education in schools, sixth-forth colleges, further education colleges, or University Technical College or who start an apprenticeship or traineeship.

For the purposes of relevant data protection legislation, the DFE is the data controller for personal data, including personal data processed by the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA).

If you would like:

  • more information about how we process your personal data or your data protection rights
  • to request your information – for example, to request a copy of your information or to ask for your information to be changed
  • to contact our Data Protection Officer

You can contact us in the following ways:

Data Protection Officer
Department for Education (B2.28)
7 & 8 Wellington Place
Wellington Street

The kinds of personal data we process about you

When we ask you for personal data, we will:

  • tell you the reasons we’re asking for it
  • only ask for the information we need
  • make sure we don’t keep it for longer than necessary
  • protect it and make sure only the appropriate people have access to it
  • let you know if we’ll share it with other organisations
  • keep it up to date where necessary
  • consider privacy risks when we’re planning to change the way we use or hold it
  • train our staff to ensure we use and protect it properly

In return, we ask you to:

  • give us accurate information
  • tell us as soon as possible if there are any changes

We may process the following types of personal data about you:

  • your personal contact details
  • your date of birth
  • your nationality and ethnicity
  • equality, diversity and inclusion information
  • information about your career, workplace, employer
  • data and information about your learning, including courses and qualifications you are taking or have taken

We may also process images and recordings to engage with and communicate with the general public. This is done per codes of practice and guidelines laid down by the Information Commissioner’s Office.

More information about how the DFE handles personal data is available.

How and why do we get personal information?

We collect your personal data where the law allows, or we have a legal duty. We may also receive your personal data from third parties, including other government departments. Your personal data is collected to enable us to carry out our functions.

The lawful basis we often rely on for processing your personal data is to perform our public task. We may also rely on the following lawful bases:

  • your consent – where this is relied upon, you can ask to remove your consent at any time - you can do this by using our contact form
  • a contractual obligation
  • a legal obligation
  • to protect a person’s vital interest
  • legitimate interest
Personal data collected from you directly

We may collect information from you:

  • face to face, like when you fill out a form or survey at our careers fairs.
  • over the telephone, like when you contact our helpdesks
  • in correspondence that you send to us, like emails, letters and social media posts

We may use personal data we collect directly from you to:

  • send you information about our work
  • improve the services we offer to you
  • operate our complaints policy
  • contact you for feedback on the services we provide to you
  • ensure the protection of public funds
  • prevent and detect fraud
Personal data collected from DFE and ESFA websites and social media channels

We may collect and process the following information:

  • details of your visits to our website, including the resources that you access, weblogs and other communication data
  • subscriptions to our mailing lists

We may use personal data we collect from DFE and ESFA websites and social media channels to:

  • ensure that our website content is presented in the best way for you
  • provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have given us your consent
  • allow you to participate in interactive features of our service when you choose to do so
  • notify you about changes to our website or services
Personal data about learners and apprentices

We collect personal data about learners from you and third parties, including other government departments and agencies and from organisations funded by DFE and ESFA to provide learning. We collect information about you and what you are studying.

This includes:

  • information on enrolment and achievements, which is collected from learning providers following their funding terms and conditions (learning providers include further education colleges and private training companies where you undertake learning)
  • information about you and what you are studying is collected by the Individualised Learner Record (ILR) - see the ILR privacy notice for more detail
  • information from the Learning Records Service (LRS) to issue you with a Unique Learner Number (ULN) and to create and keep your Personal Learning Record - see the LRS privacy notice for more details
  • the National Careers Service - see the National Careers Service privacy notice for more details
  • the Bursary for Vulnerable Group Scheme which uses the information you give to your educational institution (for example. your college) to decide if you are eligible for a bursary under the scheme eligibility criteria
  • if you start an apprenticeship, your information is supplied to us by your employer - we collect information about you and what you are studying. See the manage apprenticeship service privacy notice and apprenticeship website privacy notice for more details

Information is collected from and shared by third parties so DFE and ESFA can deliver their obligations to safeguard children and young people

Sharing your personal data

We share your personal data with other parts of DFE and ESFA and third parties, including other government departments, agencies, local authorities, and organisations, where the law allows it or we have a legal duty to do so.

These organisations can include:

  • an organisation that is working for ESFA or DFE under a contract
  • organisations that provide:
    • administration services
    • careers and other guidance
    • statistics and research about education, training, employment and well-being. This includes the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) so that you can take part in the graduate outcomes survey
  • organisations that request information to help prevent and detect crime, including sharing personal information for law enforcement purposes to prevent fraud and to assist organisations involved in the prevention of fraud where it is necessary and proportionate

We may share your personal data with other organisations where:

We may share your personal data with other organisations where another public authority funds learning. This information is shared to help those organisations do their work. These include the Department for Work and Pensions managing the European Social Fund, combined authorities in city regions, and the Greater London Authority managing devolved adult education budget funding.

We may also share your personal data with other organisations where a further education college or other training provider can no longer deliver your training funded by DFE or ESFA. This may be where a training provider has stopped trading. To help you continue learning, DFE will arrange to securely transfer your information from your last training provider to your next training provider or DFE if your learning does not continue straight away. To do this:

  • the DFE and training providers share data to make sure information held about you and your funded learning is accurate
  • DFE and your training provider may need to share your information with another training provider (for example, to confirm a claim for funding from ESFA) and with an awarding organisation (for example, to confirm what stage your learning has reached)

We may also share your personal data with other organisations where DFE and ESFA are notified of an issue regarding safeguarding children and young people.

Other people and organisations may also share personal data with DFE and ESFA, for example, when they complain or raise a concern with us. This can include information shared per the statutory guidance keeping children safe in education and working together to safeguard children. This information will investigate complaints and ensure trusts and academies comply with the regulations (Education (Independent School Standards) Regulations 2014) and their funding agreement.

How long will we keep your personal data?

We will only keep your personal data for as long as needed. DFE has a disposal schedule for personal data based on the department's needs and the law. We may need to keep some of your personal data for 66 years for research and producing statistics.

We will take the necessary steps to keep your information safe. It will then be securely destroyed when it is no longer needed.

If you want to know how long we keep your information, please write to the DFE Departmental Records Officer using our secure contact form.

Storing personal data outside the UK

When DFE stores personal data outside the UK, we will comply with data protection law and take additional steps to keep it safe, which can include additional technical and security arrangements, contractual agreements, and data sharing agreements.

Your data protection rights

Under data protection law, you have rights including:

  • your right of access - you have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information
  • your right to rectification - you have the right to ask us to rectify personal information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete
  • your right to erasure - you have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances
  • your right to restriction of processing - you have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances
  • your right to object to processing - you have the right to object to the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances
  • your right to data portability - you have the right to ask that we transfer the personal information you gave us to another organisation or to you, in certain circumstances

You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have 1 month to respond.

How to make a subject access request

You have the right to request access to your personal information, known as a subject access request. See the DFE Personal Information Charter for further details

You can use the DFE contact form to make a subject access request.

Alternatively, you can make a subject access request in writing. Post your request to:

Data Protection Officer
Department for Education (B2.28)
7 & 8 Wellington Place
Wellington Street

Include as much information as possible about what information you need and the years you need the information. If possible, tell us which part of the department holds the information. You’ll also need to provide us with your telephone number and address.

We may need to check your identity and right to access the requested information. This means we might ask for a copy of the identification pages of your passport or photo driving licence and proof of your current address.

We’ll try to respond to your request within 1 month. However, if your request is complex, we may extend the period by 2 months, but we’ll tell you if this is the case.

How to complain

If you have any concerns about our use of your personal information, you can make a complaint to the Data Protection Officer at:

Data Protection Officer
Department for Education (B2.28)
7 & 8 Wellington Place
Wellington Street

You can also complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office if you are unhappy with how we have used your data by writing to:

Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Helpline number: 0303 123 1113

Information Commissioner’s Office website

Changes to this privacy notice

We may change this privacy notice, and we encourage you to check it periodically.

Security & safeguarding

The college will make every effort to safeguard the personal effects of its users. However, it cannot accept liability for personal belongings. We do all we can to ensure the college provides a safe environment for our students and have a number of procedures designed to ensure that students, staff, and visitors can use the college safely. The college has a CCTV System installed.


We want to hear from you if you feel we have not met your expectations. First, please discuss your concerns with the person responsible for your learning. If you wish to make a formal complaint, please read our complaints procedure, which can be found here.

Kendal College has published all information about the courses it intends to offer in good faith and warrants that classes will be delivered with reasonable care and skill. The college reserves the right to cancel any class and to vary the time, location, direction and content of any class it provides and the associated fees. Kendal College excludes liability for any indirect or consequential loss arising from its actions and limits compensation to a maximum full refund of any fees paid or the offer of a class of equivalent value.

College Policies

Kendal College operates several policies that pertain to our terms & conditions. These set out in detail how the college operates a wide range of our internal processes and procedures, including:

  • Data & information
  • Fee & service costs
  • Higher Education

Use of the website

We authorise you to view and download the materials at this website (“site”) only for your personal, non-commercial use, provided that you retain all copyright and other proprietary notices contained in the original materials on any copies of the materials. For purposes of these Terms, any use of these materials on any other website or networked computer environment is prohibited. The materials on this site are copyrighted, and any unauthorised use of any materials at this site may violate copyright, trademark, and other laws. You may print and download portions of material from the different site areas solely for your non-commercial use.

Modification of terms

We may modify these Terms at any time, and such modifications shall be effective immediately upon posting of the modified Terms. You agree to review these Terms periodically to be aware of such changes. Your continued access or use of the site shall be deemed your conclusive acceptance of the modified terms.

Trademarks or copyright

Trademarks used or displayed at this site are trademarks of this site, its affiliates, or third-party owners. Nothing contained on this site is to be construed as granting, by implication or otherwise, any license or right of use of any such trademark without our prior written permission or such third party owner.