Your browser is unsupported and may have security vulnerabilities! Upgrade to a newer browser to experience this site in all it's glory.
Skip to main content

COVID-19
The college is open, and hygiene measures are in place to make the college as safe as it can be for our learners, staff and guests.
More Information

T-Levels are new two-year courses which follow GCSEs and are equivalent to three A-Levels. They combine classroom theory, practical learning and a 315-hour (45 day) industry placement to give students real experience of the workplace.

T-Levels have been developed alongside employers and businesses to meet the needs of industry and prepare students for work. They provide the skills, knowledge and experience needed to open the door to highly skilled employment, higher level study or an apprenticeship.

T-Levels are ideal if you have completed your GCSEs and want to get into a skilled job. This qualification will help ensure you build the knowledge and experience to get the job you want. T-Levels are being developed in collaboration with employers and businesses so it means the skills learned match the industry requirements.

T-Levels we offer

What is different about T-Levels?

T-Levels offer students a mixture of classroom learning and ‘on-the-job’ experience during an industry placement of at least 315 hours (approximately 45 days). Skills learnt in the classroom can then be applied to the workplace. They provide the knowledge and experience needed to open the door into skilled employment, further study or a higher apprenticeship.

Can I go to university after a T-Level?

T-Levels will prepare you to progress into a skilled job, but because they are equivalent in UCAS points to A-Levels, you can also choose to go on to university to study a degree.

Are T-Levels recognised by employers?

T Levels have been developed alongside employers and businesses so the content of the qualification matches core skills required to be successful in that industry.

Why would I choose an unpaid T-Level over a paid apprenticeship?

T-Levels and apprenticeships are different. A T-Level will give you the opportunity to continue your studies and get a much broader idea of what it’s like to work in a certain sector, with the opportunity to specialise later. Apprenticeships are paid, work-based training for those who know what occupation they wish to pursue. With a T-Level, 80% of your time will be spent in the classroom with the remaining 20% being spent on placement. An apprenticeship is the other way round and is more suited to those who want to earn and learn from the age of 16.

Why are they important for this area?

The introduction of T Levels is an important step towards future-proofing the Cumbrian economy by helping create the higher-level technical skills needed to grow industry. It brings technical qualifications into parity with A Levels, with T-Levels being much more focused on industrial placements and technical understanding. We are aware of the need skills in digital, health and child care, and education and science. Four out of five emerging jobs need high-level digital technical skills.

Will more T Levels be available in my area after 2021?

Yes! We are planning further T-Levels. We've been selected by the government as a provider at the forefront of high-quality technical skills training in the second round of delivery with a view to expanding its T-Level offer in future years. Find out more at www.tlevels.gov.uk.

T-Levels