There are lots of opportunities to gain additional experiences and benefits of being a Kendal College student!
- Student Ambassadors work with Marketing & Student Services to promote the college.
- Class Reps represent students in your class and liaise with college managers to make a difference.
- Student Governors, be part of the highest decision-making body in the college.
- NUS Totum Card - save money through this student discount card!
As well as the opportunity to set up student-run clubs and events.
Tom Little, a Business student & Student Ambassador from 2021/22, discusses these here:
Work with our Student Services & Marketing Team to support open evenings, school events, social media & a variety of other marketing activities, for example, film projects, printed guides & PR.
Become a Student Ambassador!
- Support college staff in promoting the college.
- Be fully trained and supported.
- Training, teambuilding & socials included, with expenses (e.g. transport) paid.
- Develop your skills and enhance your CV.
- Join a fantastic team and meet students from across the college.
- Represent the college at various events.
- T-shirts & hoodies included.
- Enjoy rewards for your hard work with our Accreditation Scheme.
The Student Ambassador role is vital in the positive promotion of the college. You will work with our Student Services and Marketing teams, and there are a variety of different events & projects to choose from, including (but not limited to):
Open evenings, admission events & other college events.
- Supporting the organisation and set-up of the events.
- Welcoming visitors to the college.
- Sharing your college experiences with prospective students.
School & community events.
- Promoting the college at external events.
- Developing the resources and presentations used at these events.
NB: Transport is not provided, so you would need to organise this to/from the venue. Any expenses, e.g. mileage & additional bus tickets, will be reimbursed.
Marketing, social media & general admin support.
- Working with Marketing to review, develop and expand our promotional activity.
- Supporting other general admin tasks, e.g. packaging letters and putting up posters.
What we are looking for.
- Effective speaking & listening skills.
- Good people skills - able to relate confidently & professionally to visitors, staff & students.
- Have a personal interest in promoting the college in a positive way.
- Be punctual & reliable.
- Able to work well individually, use initiative, and work as part of a team.
- An understanding and belief in treating everyone equally and valuing diversity.
- Able to keep calm in difficult situations.
- Knowledge of the college campuses and course areas.
- IT and administration skills.
Submitting your application.
If your application is successful:
- We will contact your tutor for a reference.
- You will receive a text and email inviting you for an interview on the date you selected.
A Student Governor is a 2-year, part-time and flexible job that can fit around your studies and commitments.
- In your first year at college and/or continuing next year?
- Reliable and able to attend meetings in the early evening?
- A person who enjoys working with others?
- Interested in how a large organisation operates?
- Keen to improve the College and student experience?
- On a full time, apprenticeship or part-time course?
Then, being a Student Governor could be for you!
For more information, see the Governance pages and contact Carole Drury, Director of Governance if you are interested in being involved: Carole.Drury@kendal.ac.uk.
Your feedback & ideas.
Kendal College is YOUR college and your views and ideas are really important.
We encourage you to let us know what you think by:
- Completing surveys
- Becoming a class rep and member of Student Council - with the opportunity to attend national conferences
- Taking part in focus groups & meetings
- Becoming a Student Governor
- Gain experience, meet others and boost your CV.
If you are interested, speak to your course tutor or ask at reception. Elections for Class Reps & Student Governors take place in the Autumn Term.
The College is linked to the National Union of Students, which means you can get the NUS Totum Card – giving you access to loads of savings on the high street and online. For more info and to purchase your card (£14.99 for 12 months) see: www.totum.com.
Your wellbeing and health are important to us. The Wellbeing Manager is keen to hear your views on these matters, and how best to help all students feel healthy.
We have a unique Wellbeing Website with lots of tailor-made advice, links and support. We promise to treat you like an individual and offer a non-judgemental listening ear when needed. Keep an eye open for opportunities to get involved throughout the year.
Follow us on Instagram to keep up to date @kendalwellbeing and find out more here.
IT & laptop advice.
The College has a large number of desktop and laptop computers for you to use on campus. For some courses, it may be beneficial to also have your own laptop. Below is some advice on what to look for when purchasing a laptop.
What laptop to choose from?
Our recommendation is to buy a laptop with the following specifications:
- Intel i3/i5/i7 or AMD Ryzen 3/5/7 CPU
- 4/8GB of RAM
- 120GB SSD
- 13”/15” screen
We do not make official recommendations on the specific make of laptops. When choosing your laptop processing power is less important than weight (light) and battery life (long). The more RAM you have the better. An SSD hard drive is recommended. A touch screen can be useful for annotating notes but is also not essential.
An iPad or tablet could also be used, but we would recommend a keyboard attachment to aid in typing.
This depends solely on personal taste, macOS and Windows 10/11 will interact with the college network perfectly. If you're using a Chromebook or Linux, some additional configuration may be needed. Please contact the network office for advice.
What about Software?
We use Microsoft Office 365 at Kendal College. Once you start your studies, you can download and install the full Office suite on up to five personal devices.
We use industry-leading software and technology within the classroom, some software can also be used for free or heavily discounted on your personal device outside the classroom.
> Adobe Creative Suite - 65% off for students
> Adobe Express - Free
> AutoCAD for Education - Free
Do I need to subscribe to cloud-based storage?
You do not need to pay for your own cloud storage. You will be provided with 1GB of secure file space in your home directory, along with 5TB of cloud-based space on Microsoft OneDrive.
Student clubs & societies
- Make the most of your time at college
- Meet students on other courses
- Gain new skills and knowledge
- Boost your CV and applications for employment, university or an apprenticeship
Choose from a menu of activities from cooking to photography to car maintenance!
Starting after October half term - ask yourtutor for more information.