Your browser is unsupported and may have security vulnerabilities! Upgrade to a newer browser to experience this site in all it's glory.
Skip to main content

You may be able to receive money from the funds detailed below for things like transport, childcare, fees, equipment, lunch and trips.

The College administers the following government funding:

  • Bursary Fund – for 16-18 year-olds
  • Learner Support Fund – for 19+ students
  • Advanced Learner Loans Bursary Fund (for students who have applied for a 19+ Loan)
  • Residential Support Scheme

There are also local grants and trusts available locally & nationally. Click here for more information and to see if you are eligible.

> Grants (PDF)

Am I eligible?

You must be classed as a permanent UK resident and be on a funded full-time or part-time course. These funds are not available to waged apprentices or HE students (other funds for Higher Education students, please contact Student Services for more information).

The funds are for students in low-income households and financial hardship. Income thresholds determine how funds are allocated. You may be eligible if your household income is less than £45,000 (£35,000 - £45,000 transport costs only). We can take individual circumstances into account, please get in touch with us if your household income is over the threshold but you are in financial hardship. We can only process your application if all sections are completed, and evidence is provided. Incomplete or unevidenced applications will be returned to you.

Residential Support Scheme

The Residential Support Scheme is designed to provide financial help with residential costs (e.g. rent) for eligible students living away from home because their full-time Level 2 or Level 3 qualification is unavailable locally. Students must have a household income of £30,993 or less in the previous tax year. Government guidance is available here. For more information and to register your interest, please get in touch with Student Services.

Cumbria Community Foundation

The Cumbria Community Foundation exists to address disadvantages by making life-changing grants and promoting philanthropy. They also respond to emerging needs, having managed four disaster appeals as well as the recent Cumbria COVID-19 Response Fund.

The criteria can be filtered for grants to individuals in a geographical area.

Burton-in-Kendal Educational Foundation

The Burton in Kendal Educational Foundation provides small grants to Sixth Form, College and University Students. To qualify, you need to have lived in any of Burton-in-Kendal, Dalton, Holme, Preston Patrick, the Hamlet of Holmescales, Beetham, Meathop, Ulpha, Witherslack or Arnside Civil Parishes for at least two years.

For an application form or further information, please contact:

Marion Robinson
t 01524 784918 or 07531 575663


Childcare support is available to young parents and adults. If you are under 20, the Care to Learn scheme pays a maximum of £180 per child per week, supporting young parents to access education. Please get in touch with Student Services for information. If you are 20+, the Learner Support Fund or Advanced Learning Loans Bursary Fund can support adults with childcare costs.

> Application for Childcare Costs (Word) - coming soon!

Guidance & application forms

Applications open in July.

Please read the Guidance Notes before completing an application:

> Guidance Notes (PDF) - coming soon!

You can apply via post or email.


Download & print the financial application form here (please don't take photos of the form- if you don't have a computer/printer, please contact us and we will post an application form to you).

> Financial Application Form (PDF) - coming soon!

And post this and photocopies of the required evidence to Student Services, Milnthorpe Road, Kendal, Cumbria, LA9 5AY. If you are applying for a bus pass, please include a completed bus application form.

If you would like us to post the application form to you, please email or call us on 01539 814700.


Please email the editable form below, along with the relevant evidence, to If you are applying for a bus pass, please include a completed bus application form.

> Editable Financial Application Form (PDF) - coming soon!
> Application for Childcare Costs (Word) - coming soon!


> Discretionary Learning Support Funding Policy (Word) - coming soon!

Any questions? Please get in touch!

t 01539 814700