Sport & Outdoor Adventure is a hugely diverse industry with employers working across a variety of disciplines, venues, weather conditions and client groups. Our apprenticeship programmes support learners to gain the knowledge, skills and behaviours needed to deliver rewarding outdoor experiences to participants.
Our delivery of apprenticeships in Sport & Outdoor Adventure is highly personalised, with learning typically taking place in the workplace to reflect the differing needs of employers from across the industry, a full list of our apprenticeship courses can be found below:
Outdoor Activity Instructor, Level 3
This apprenticeship supports learners new to, or currently working in, sport, leisure and outdoor adventure to gain and develop the skills, knowledge and behaviours needed to run safe and enjoyable activity sessions in a variety of outdoor disciplines, venues, weather conditions and in-accordance with operating procedures.
Typical job titles may include Multi-Activity Leader, Activity Instructor, Ranger or National Park Guide.
Ideally learners should hold 5 GCSEs at grade (4-9) including English and Maths and be employed for thirty-hours a week or more.
Training, Knowledge & Skills
Preparing for sessions, delivering sessions, meeting session outcomes, completing sessions, organisation requirements and professional practice.
The course covers the following knowledge and skills:
- Preparing for sessions - collate and use information, meet desired outcomes, venue locations and access arrangements
- Delivering sessions - appropriate activity briefings, practice protocols and techniques, identify hazards
- Meeting session outcomes - techniques to ensure engagement, dealing with conflict, questioning styles to aid review
- Completing sessions - adherence to any reporting policies, returning resources and equipment
- Organisation requirements - engage and communicate, representing the organisation
- Professional practice - equality and diversity, continuing development
Professionalism, enthusiasm, respectful of the environment, supportive and encouraging, promotes perseverance and progression, and consistently positive.
Learners will be assessed through observation, a workplace portfolio and competency interview.
Start Date: Throughout the year
Duration: 15 to 18 Months
Employer Incentive: £1000 (subject to eligibility)