Particularly suitable for those with limited time to attend college but with a keen interest in developing an understanding of principles dementia care and the different types of dementia. The course covers the following topics: Dementia awareness, Person-centred approach to the care and support of individuals with dementia, The factors that can influence communication and interaction with individuals who have dementia, Equality, diversity and inclusion in dementia care, Administration of medication to individuals with dementia using a person-centred approach and Understanding behaviour in the context of dementia.
Learners will receive a resource pack which includes study modules.
Module submissions can be hand written in the workbooks provided and posted to college or alternatively, electronic modules can be supplied for submission.
This course is designed for those who work or have an interest in Health and Social Care, including those in a work role and informal/family carers. Learners must be aged 19 or over to enrol on the course, be living in England and not taking part in full-time education. Entry is at the discretion of the college. Kendal College will ensure that this course is appropriate for the age and ability of the learner. This may involve an assessment to ensure learners can meet the criteria and comply with this course's relevant literacy, numeracy, and health and safety aspects.
Any learners that enrol with a home postcode in any of the following regions are not entitled to funding through the college and would have to be funded on a full-cost basis:
- Greater Manchester
- Liverpool City
- West Midlands
- West of England
- Tees Valley
- Cambridgeshire & Peterborough
- Greater London
- Newcastle Upon Tyne, North Tyneside & Northumberland
- South Yorkshire
- West Yorkshire
After Your Course
Learners who achieve this qualification could progress to the following:
- Level 3 Certificate in Understanding the Principles of Dementia Care
- Apprenticeships in Health and Social Care
- Level 2 Certificate in Mental Health Problems
- Level 2 Certificate in Common Health Conditions
- Level 2 Certificate in Falls Prevention Awareness
- Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Dementia
- Level 2 Certificate in Principles of End of Life Care
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Autism
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Behaviours that Challenge
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Children and Young People's Mental Health
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding the Safe Handling of Medication in Health & Social Care
- Principles of Team Leading
The fee displayed is the course fee. Course fees are per year for full-time & degree-level courses and per course for part-time courses.
There may be other costs associated with this course, e.g. kit, equipment, books, trips etc. Financial support may be available to support you with these. See the Student Money pages for more information.
The current full-time & degree-level fee information is related to the 2023/24 academic year.
Entry Level, Level 1 & Level 2 Courses
You may qualify for financial support to cover the cost of a government-funded qualification if any of the below apply to you:
- Have an annual salary of less than £20,319.
- Receive an eligible means-tested benefit, e.g. JSA, ESA or Universal Credit.
- Are aged 16-18 on 31/08/23 and are not studying at another school/college.
- Are aged 19 or over on 31/08/23 and do not already have a Level 1, 2 or 3 qualification.
- Have a household income under £35,000 and are in financial hardship.
See the Student Money pages for more information.