Do you have a passion for Engineering?
Are you excited by the prospect of passing on your knowledge and experience to the next generation of students?
Have you always wanted to live and work within an area of natural beauty and vibrant culture?
Job Title: Lecturer 1 Engineering
Full time 37 hours a week Permanent role
Pay Scale: £25,955 to £32,801 depending upon qualifications and experience
Closing Date: 5th July 2022 5pm
The successful candidate will themselves be educated to at least Level 4 and capable of sharing their knowledge with our students in an engaging and informative manner that befits their passion for the subject. We take an interdisciplinary approach to Engineering and are keen to hear from applicants with backgrounds in Electrical and/or Mechanical Engineering. Teaching experience is desirable, but we are looking for someone with the confidence to share their experience and knowledge with our students - we would provide support for gaining a formal teaching qualification alongside your work with us.
- To develop a stimulating an exciting programme for learners.
- To manage and provide good quality teaching and learning to support student achievement.
- To seek to ensure that student retention and achievement targets are met
- To contribute towards the College’s strategic objectives.
- Provide a safe and healthy environment in which to work and learn.
- Ensure a high quality of adequate resources and materials are provided to enhance learning, thereby enriching the opportunity and experience of learners.
- Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults.
See Job description for full details.
Why Choose Us
Located next to the breath-taking UNESCO World Heritage site of the Lake District, Kendal College is an FE College that consistently punches above its weight on the national stage. Under the leadership of our Principal, Kelvin Nash, Kendal College is embarking on a series of bold steps to grow the College and remain a top-notch education provider for Cumbria and the North West region. Our students are focused on their learning, achieve high levels of attainment and consistently give us high satisfaction ratings. The College recognises the wellbeing of its staff as a priority, as well as ensuring that excellent work is appropriately recognised and that a healthy work-life balance is maintained.
What We Offer
- A generous holiday entitlement
- 7 efficiency days per year (pro rata) in addition to your hard-earned holiday allocation.
- A College that is committed to developing every student to reach their full potential, irrespective of their ability.
- Collaborative working within our departments and campuses to support our endeavours to work smarter and achieve an effective balance between home and work.
- A dedicated and friendly team of professionals who are keen to develop and learn.
- Excellent CPD opportunities to grow and develop.
- A College that promotes and supports flexible working
- On-site canteens with locally sourced ingredients.
- A Cycle to Work scheme.
- Fantastic facilities to resource your ability to support your students.
- A comprehensive Staff awards, rewards and Wellbeing scheme.
Job Requirements - The Right Candidate will have:
Qualifications – Essential
- A recognised teaching qualification or be willing to obtain within 2 years of appointment
- Level 4 qualification (BTEC HNC, NVQ) in in an Engineering discipline or be willing to work towards it.
- English, Maths, and Science at Level 2 (GCSE A* to C or equivalent)
Qualifications - Desirable
- A Bachelor/Master’s degree in an Engineering discipline
- Assessor or IQA qualifications to support curriculum and apprenticeship programmes or be willing to obtain within 2 years.
Experience – Essential
- Understanding of Engineering industry and potential specialisms that you can inspire students to progress into
Experience – Desirable
- Recent experience of teaching in an FE/HE environment
- Recent experience with some industry specialisms such as programming, electronics, CAD, PLCs, pneumatics etc.
- Experience of working in an industrial/commercial Engineering environment
Knowledge/Skills – Essential
- Effective communication and presentation skills
- Effective work management skills that can be translated into a classroom
- Understanding of Engineering principles including Electrical, Mechanical, and Manufacturing systems
Knowledge/Skills – Desirable
- Capable use of IT to promote teaching and monitor learning
- Ability to provide high quality pastoral care to learners
- Good general knowledge of health and safety at work in an educational and the relevant vocational environment
- Comprehensive current technical knowledge and skills commensurate with the required vocational delivery
The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all learners and expects all staff to share this commitment. Employment at the College is subject to an Enhanced DBS Check via the Disclosure and Barring Service and any post in regulated activity will also be subject to an additional barred list check