Do you have a passion for supporting learners to achieve their potential? Are you looking for a rewarding and varied role that will make an impact on young people’s lives?
Have you always wanted to live and work within an area of natural beauty and vibrant culture?
Kendal College is seeking highly competent and compassionate Learning Assistants to support our learners through their studies.
Job Title: Learning Assistant – Animal Care
Pay: £10.84 per hour (includes holiday pay)
Temporary post: 24 hours per week for 35 weeks
This post is for a specific student – if the student does not attend college or leaves before the end of the course, we would endeavour to provide other work but this is not guaranteed.
Closing date: 2nd August, 2021
- To provide high quality learning support within the animal care department for students with disabilities and learning difficulties.
- Work cooperatively with Learning Services Team and curriculum areas to continuously develop and improve support for learners.
- Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults.
Please see Job description for full details.
Why Choose Us
Located next to the breath-taking UNESCO World Heritage site of the Lake District, Kendal College is an FE College that consistently punches above its weight on the national stage. Under the leadership of our Principal, Kelvin Nash, Kendal College is embarking on a series of bold steps to grow the College and remain a top-notch education provider for Cumbria and the North West region. Our students are focused on their learning, achieve high levels of attainment and consistently give us high satisfaction ratings. The College recognises the wellbeing of its staff as a priority, as well as ensuring that excellent work is appropriately recognised and that a healthy work-life balance is maintained.
What We offer
- A College that is committed to developing every student to reach their full potential, irrespective of their ability.
- Collaborative working within our departments and campuses to support our endeavours to work smarter and achieve an effective balance between home and work.
- A dedicated and friendly team of professionals who are keen to develop and learn.
- Excellent CPD opportunities to grow and develop.
- A College that promotes and supports flexible working
- On-site canteens with locally sourced ingredients.
- A Cycle to Work scheme
- Fantastic facilities to resource your ability to support your students
- A comprehensive Staff awards, rewards and Wellbeing scheme
Job Requirements - The Right Candidate will have:
Qualifications – Essential
- Educated to Level 3 (A level or equivalent)
- GCSE Maths and English (A to C) or equivalent
- IT qualification or proven competence
Qualifications – Desirable
- Knowledge of Functional Skills Level 2
- Experience of delivering GCSE English & Maths
Experience – Essential
- Experience of working with 16+ year old learners
- Experience of working with individuals with additional needs in an educational or care setting
Knowledge/Skills – Essential
- An understanding of the implications for learning of the most common additional support needs, including ASC, Dyslexia and ADHD
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with learners that promote learning
- Ability to communicate effectively with learners.
- Awareness of ways to structure and present information and ideas clearly and effectively to support learning
- Ability to provide support that builds on the learner’s experience, learning preferences and levels of independence and encourages learners to work independently where possible
- Ability to document learner progress effectively.
- Experience of, or ability to, provide practical support to a wheelchair user
Knowledge/skills – Desirable
- Knowledge of access technology
- Knowledge of the implementation of Education, Health and Care plans
- An interest, or experience of, working within an animal care setting
- Willing to undertake personal care
The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all learners and expects all staff to share this commitment. Employment at the College is subject to an Enhanced DBS Check via the Disclosure and Barring Service and any post in regulated activity will also be subject to an additional barred list check.