We take an interdisciplinary approach to engineering and are keen to hear from applicants with backgrounds in electrical or mechanical engineering.
- Full or part-time, permanent post
22.2 to 37 hours per week (0.6 to 1 FTE).
£28,359 - £35,840 (based on full-time), depending upon qualifications and experience.
- Closing date
Sunday, 8th October 2023.
Do you have a passion for Engineering? Are you excited about passing on your knowledge and experience to the next generation of students? Have you always wanted to live and work within an area of natural beauty and vibrant culture?
The successful candidate will themselves be educated to at least level 4 and capable of sharing their knowledge with our students in an engaging and informative manner that befits their passion for the subject. We take an interdisciplinary engineering approach and are keen to hear from applicants with electrical or mechanical engineering backgrounds. Teaching experience is desirable, but we are looking for someone with the confidence to share their experience and knowledge with our students. We would support gaining a formal teaching qualification alongside your work with us.
Summary of responsibilities
- To develop a stimulating and exciting programme for learners.
- To manage and provide good quality teaching and learning to support student achievement.
- To seek to ensure that student retention and achievement targets are met.
- To contribute towards the college’s strategic objectives.
- Provide a safe and healthy environment in which to work and learn.
- Ensure a high quality of adequate resources and materials are provided to enhance learning, thereby enriching the opportunity and experience of learners.
- Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults.
See the Job Description for full details.
Why choose us?
Set within the Lake District's breathtaking UNESCO World Heritage site, Kendal College is a FE college that consistently punches above its weight on the national stage. Under the leadership of our new Principal, the college is embarking on a series of bold steps to grow the college and remain a top-notch education provider for Cumbria and the North West region. Our students focus on their learning, achieve high levels of attainment and consistently give us high satisfaction ratings. The college recognises the wellbeing of its staff as a priority, as well as ensuring that excellent work is appropriately identified and that a healthy work-life balance is maintained.
What we offer
- A generous holiday entitlement.
- Seven efficiency days per year (pro rata).
- Sick pay and pension scheme.
- Support to help you transition into college life.
- Excellent CPD opportunities so you can gain a formal teaching qualification whilst working with us and continue to grow and develop.
- A dedicated and friendly team of professionals keen to develop and learn.
- A college that promotes and supports flexible working.
- A college committed to developing every student to reach their full potential, irrespective of their ability.
- Fantastic facilities to resource your ability to support your students.
- Collaborative working within our departments and campuses supports our endeavours to work smarter and effectively balance home and work.
- On-site canteens with locally sourced ingredients.
- A cycle-to-work scheme.
- A comprehensive staff awards, rewards and wellbeing scheme.
What we're looking for
|A recognised teaching qualification or be willing to obtain within two years of appointment.||A bachelor's or master's degree in an engineering discipline.|
|English, maths & science at level 2 (GCSE grade 4/C) or equivalent.||Assessor or IQA qualifications to support curriculum and apprenticeship programmes or be willing to obtain within two years.|
|Level 4 qualification (BTEC, HNC, NVQ, etc.) in an engineering discipline or be willing to work towards it.|
|Understanding of the engineering industry and potential specialisms, you can inspire students to progress.||Recent experience teaching in an FE/HE environment.|
|Recent experience with some industry specialisms such as programming, electronics, CAD, PLCs, pneumatics etc.|
|Experience working in an industrial/commercial engineering environment.|
Knowledge & Skills
|An evident passion for maths and a willingness to use it to inspire our students.||Capable use of IT to promote teaching and monitor learning.|
|Effective communication skills.||Ability to provide high-quality pastoral care to learners.|
|Effective presentation skills.||Effective use of ILT to encourage teaching and learning and monitor learning.|
|Understanding of engineering principles, including electrical, mechanical, and manufacturing systems||Effective classroom management skills.|
|Good general knowledge of health and safety at work in an educational and relevant vocational environment.|
|Comprehensive current technical knowledge and skills commensurate with the required vocational delivery.|
Applications without the essential requirements will not usually be considered for appointment.
Right to work
All applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK. Documented evidence of eligibility and a photo ID will be required from candidates at the interview as part of our standard recruitment process.
Kendal College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.