The purpose of this qualification is to give learners an awareness of a range of common health conditions. Learners may then progress to additional qualifications to gain a more in-depth understanding of specific health conditions.
To be awarded the Level 2 Certificate in Common Health Conditions, learners must achieve a minimum of 15 credits and successfully demonstrate their achievement of all learning outcomes and assessment criteria of the chosen units. Grades are not awarded. The Level 2 Certificate in Common Health Conditions is internally assessed by the learner submitting a workbook either written or electronically.
This is particularly suitable for those with limited time to attend college and undertake taught sessions but with a keen interest in developing an understanding of common health conditions. This qualification includes the following topics:
- Understand how to contribute to monitoring the health of individuals affected by health conditions
- Understand cardiovascular disease
- Understand respiratory disease
- Introductory awareness of sensory loss
- Stroke awareness
- Diabetes awareness
- Arthritis awareness
- Dementia awareness
- Understand the impact of acquired brain injury on individuals
- Understanding mental health
- Understand the context of supporting individuals with learning disabilities
- Understand physical disability
- Parkinson's disease awareness.
Module submissions can be hand written in the workbooks provided and posted to college or alternatively, electronic modules can be supplied for submission.
This course is designed for those who work or have an interest in Health and Social Care, including those in a work role and informal/family carers. Learners must be aged 19 or over in order to enrol on the course, be living in England and not taking part in full-time education. Entry is at the discretion of the college. Kendal College will ensure that this course is appropriate for the age and ability of the learner. This may involve an assessment to ensure learners can meet the criteria and comply with the relevant literacy, numeracy, and health and safety aspects of this course.
After Your Course
Learners who achieve this qualification could progress to the following:
- Level 3 Certificate in Understanding the Principles of Dementia Care
- Apprenticeships in Health and Social Care
- Level 2 Certificate in Mental Health Problems
- Level 2 Certificate in Common Health Conditions
- Level 2 Certificate in Falls Prevention Awareness
- Level 2 Certificate in Principles of Dementia
- Level 2 Certificate in Principles of End of Life Care
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Autism
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Behaviours that Challenge
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Children and Young People's Mental Health
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding the Safe Handling of Medication in Health & Social Care
- Principles of Team Leading
The fee displayed is the course fee. Course fees are per year for full-time & degree-level courses, and per course for part-time courses.
There may be other costs associated with this course e.g. kit, equipment, books, trips etc. Financial support may be available to support you with these. See the Student Money pages for more information.
The current full-time & degree-level fee information is related to the 2021/22 academic year and is subject to change before the start of the course. Fees for 2022/23 will be updated in the Spring Term 2022. There may also be additional costs associated with the course.
Entry Level, Level 1 & Level 2 Courses
You may qualify for financial support to cover the cost of a government-funded qualification if any of the below apply to you:
- Have an annual salary of less than £18,525
- Receive an eligible means-tested benefit e.g. JSA, ESA or Universal Credit
- Were aged 16-18 on 31/08/22 and are not studying at another school/college
- Were aged 19 or over on 31/08/22 and do not already have a Level 1 or 2 qualification
- Have a household income under £25,000 and are in financial hardship
See the Student Money pages for more information.