The Paediatric First Aid Course is designed for professionals whose occupation involves the care of infants and children e.g. childminders, nursery workers, primary and secondary school staff.
This course meets all the requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage statutory framework. We offer a flexible timetable to enable candidates to balance study with working and family contact time. The course also meets Ofsted requirements for registered childminders and the requirements for nannies under the Approved Carers Scheme.
The course focuses on emergency scenarios that are faced by professionals including teachers, au pairs and playgroup leaders looking after young children. The Paediatric course teaches you to provide emergency care and first aid for children and infants should the need arise.
The following topics will be covered:
- Scene safety
- Effective barrier use
- Primary assessment
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) in adults, children and babies
- Dealing with bleeding
- Conscious and unconscious choking (adult, infant, child)
- Recognising and treating shock
- Spinal injury management
- Injury assessment
- Illness assessment
- Bandaging and splinting
- Treatment and recognition of specific illnesses
Practical assessments will take place over the two-day course.
Please contact our Student Services Team on 01539 814700 for more information.
After Your Course
This qualification will be useful in the following careers:
- Work as a nanny
It will enable you to be an identified first aider within childcare settings.
Course fees are per year. The current fee information is related to the 2018/19 academic year and is subject to change before the start of the course. Fees for 2019/20 will be updated in the Spring Term. There may also be additional costs associated with the course.
This course is funded by the government and may be free if you are:
- Aged 16-18 on 31/08/18
- Aged 19-23 on an Entry Level or Level 1 course with intent to progress to a Level 2 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first full Level 2 or Level 3 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first Level 4 course (if you haven’t already got a Level 3 qualification)
- Aged 19+ on Functions Skills or GCSE English or Maths
- Unemployed and in receipt of JSA/ESA(WRAG)/Universal Credit or another eligible state benefit on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course
- Member of a low income household & in financial hardship on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course