The government has set a target of achieving 70% of the population participating in sport and physical activity. This course will provide learners with the skills to help the nation achieve a healthier lifestyle. Exercise and fitness is a massive growth area in the UK, with a government drive towards reducing obesity and improving the nations health.
This course will prepare you for a career in the sport and active leisure industry as a personal trainer. It will allow you to plan and instruct individual and small group exercise to a range of different clients in a variety of settings.
Throughout this qualification you will develop an understanding of the theory underpinning personal training, including anatomy and physiology, principles of exercise and fitness, how to support clients, health and safety, and the principles of nutrition.
During your course you will study a variety of modules:
- Health, safety and welfare in a fitness environment
- Principles of exercise, fitness and health
- Know how to support clients who take part in exercise and physical activity
- Anatomy and physiology for exercise and health
- Programming personal training with clients
- Delivering personal training sessions
- Applying the principles of nutrition to a physical activity programme
The course will include practical and theory. A range of assessment methods will be used including written reports, session plans, designing training programmes and practical observations.
You should have the Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing (Gym-based exercise) and four GCSEs at A*-D including English, or a Level 1 Diploma at Merit or Distinction.
Potential students should have a positive, motivating, can do attitude and be willing to work both as part of a team or on their own. Applicants are expected to have the skills to work with and motivate a variety of different clients.
You will be required to attend College one evening per week and gain some relevant experience in the health and fitness industry.
After Your Course
This course will prepare you for more responsible roles at work. The course will develop your communication, organisation and planning skills.
During the course you will be supported in finding a suitable job in the health and fitness industry, such as personal trainer or leisure club manager. You may also progress to a degree or other higher level courses.
Recognition of your qualifications by employers can also lead to rapid career development in the workplace.
Course fees are per year for full-time & degree-level courses, and per course for part-time ones. The current full-time & degree-level fee information is related to the 2019/20 academic year and is subject to change before the start of the course. Fees for 2020/21 will be updated in the Spring Term. There may also be additional costs associated with the course.
This course is funded by the government and may be free if you are:
- Aged 16-18 on 31/08/19
- Aged 19-23 on an Entry Level or Level 1 course with intent to progress to a Level 2 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first full Level 2 or Level 3 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first Level 4 course (if you haven’t already got a Level 3 qualification)
- Aged 19+ on Functions Skills or GCSE English or Maths
- Unemployed and in receipt of JSA/ESA(WRAG)/Universal Credit or another eligible state benefit on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course
- Member of a low income household & in financial hardship on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course
Level 3-6 Courses for Adults
Advanced Learning Loans are available for students aged 19+ and studying an eligible Level 3/4/5 and 6 Course. If you are on an Access course, the loan will be written off if you complete a degree.
Please speak to Student Services for more information on course fees.