Your browser is unsupported and may have security vulnerabilities! Upgrade to a newer browser to experience this site in all it's glory.
Skip to main content

COVID-19: Latest Update

The college is delivering teaching & learning online. We are still accepting online applications and will be carrying out interviews over the phone.

More Information

Apply Here

Course Mode
Start Date
Start / End Time
9:00am - 6:30pm
1 Week
End Date

Hospitality & Catering

"Kendal College, home to one of the most influential cooking courses in the country" - Jay Rayner

View course department

Course Overview

This qualification is aimed at anyone who wishes to work in licensed premises where alcohol is sold. You will look at licensing authorities; the responsibilities of the Personal License Holder; police powers; rights of entry; specific prohibitions; strengths of alcoholic drinks; responsible retail of alcohol and the protection of children from harm.

On completion of this course, candidates will hold a licensing qualification with which they can apply for the Personal License. Anyone who authorises the sale of alcohol to the public (as per the legal requirement in England and Wales) is required to have a suitable qualification.

Applying for a Personal Licence?

Personal licences authorise individuals to sell or supply alcohol, or authorise the sale or supply of alcohol, for consumption on or off premises for which a premises licence is in force for the carrying on of that activity. Personal licences last for ten tears and are renewable.

All licensed premises must have an allocated personal licence holder, known as the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS). The DPS must authorise every sale of alcohol.

In order to obtain a Personal Licence applicants must be 18 years of age or above and must submit the following to the local council (where the applicant lives) in order to apply for the licence to sell alcohol:

- An application form (obtained by the local council)
- Level 2 qualification certificate (obtained by completing this course)
- Disclosure and Barring Service check (replaces the CRB check)
- Two passport sized photos (signed by a professional)
- The application fee (check with your local council)

All successful BIIAB APLH candidates are invited to activate their complimentary provisional BII membership. This is the first step to becoming a member of the professional body for the licensed hospitality sector and includes some bespoke benefits. Visit for more information.
The qualification comprises of:

- The roles, responsibilities and functions of licensing authorities within the framework of the licensing objectives.

- The application process for a personal licence.

- The role and legal responsibilities of the personal licence holder and the penalties relating to failure to comply with the law.

- The premises licence.

- The content and purpose of operating schedules.

- The role and duties of the designated premises supervisor.

- Unauthorised and temporary licensable activities.

- Rights of entry to licensed premises.

- Police powers with regard to suspension and closure of licensed premises.

- The specific prohibitions for the sale of alcohol.

- The strengths of alcoholic drinks and the effects of alcohol on the human body.

- The protection of children from harm.

- The responsible retail sale of alcohol.

The course runs for one day. Participants will receive tuition based upon the Personal Licence Holders Handbook, exam techniques and revision.

The examination of the BIIAB Award for Personal Licence Holders is a multiple choice question paper consisting of 40 questions.

The time allowed for the completion of the exam is 40 minutes. For each question the candidate is asked to select the correct answer from four options.

Please ensure the correct forms of personal identification are available at the time of the exam.

Before undertaking your examination you will be asked to provide:

- Proof of identity (e.g. passport, signed complete UK driving licence - 2 parts, plastic photo card written part, credit card which bears your signature)

- Your current Postcode

- HB pencil and eraser

You will be permitted to use an English or bilingual dictionary within the examination time. The use of electronic dictionaries is not permitted.

Entry Requirements

Kendal College is formally approved by the British Institute of Innkeeping to provide training in the Award for Personal Licence Holders and qualifying examination. It is recommended for all those new to the licensed trade to achieve this qualification before a full licence will be granted. Successful candidates will be awarded a certificate from the BIIAB.

Can under 18 year olds do the NCPCH?
- Yes, but they can only apply for a Personal Licence once they are eighteen.

I am in a hurry can the College issue a letter saying I have completed the course?
- No - because the Personal License application must be submitted with certificate.

After Your Course

Licensee, bar work, manager, supervisor.



Course fees are per year. There may also be additional costs associated with the course (please see the course overview).

Student Finance
Whether you qualify for student finance depends on specific criteria. The main student finance package for full-time students includes a tuition fee loan and maintenance loan for living costs. Part-time students can access a tuition fee loan to pay for your course.

Generally, you will only get student finance if you’re doing your first degree-level qualification. This is true even if your previous course was self-funded.

For further information please see

Access to Learning Fund
The Access to Learning Fund is a non-repayable discretionary fund that gives students facing hardship extra financial support to access and remain in higher education. This can is accessed via the college. Contact Student Services for more information: / 01539 814700

Join us at our next

Open Evening

21 April 2020 4.30pm - 7pm