Nails services have expanded significantly over the past few years and clients are demanding more of their nail technician. Our highly specialised programme will provide you with the essential skills to become successful within this rewarding industry.
The VTCT Level 2 Certificate in Nail Technology (QCF) is a qualification that has been specifically designed to develop your practical skills in how to provide and maintain nail enhancements and manicure treatments.
The course teaches intermediate nail techniques needed to enter the nail industry. The Level 2 Certificate in Nail technology is made up of 6 units including:
- Health and safety practice within the salon
- Client care and communication in beauty-related industries
- Manicure treatments
- Nail enhancement (Acrylic, tip and overlay)
- Basic nail art
The course is a mix of practical and theory sessions delivered by qualified and experienced staff. The emphasis is towards practical development and there are more salon sessions than theory. Initially you will be working on members of your group and you will also be required to model for other students.
There is no final examination but you will be continuously assessed using a range of methods including: observation of practical work, oral questions, assignments, online tests and portfolio evidence to demonstrate your understanding.
You will be required to undertake independent study outside the taught sessions and practice your skills. Practical skills will be taught with use of a hand trainer at first, and then you will progress onto working on members of your class for realistic practice.
You will be required to provide at least 4 outside models for your final assessments towards the end of your course.
You will be required to purchase a salon uniform to wear for practical classes and will need to purchase a kit (see Student Services for information) for your personal use within classes.
You should have a keen interest and motivation for the subject.
After Your Course
Students may progress to a junior position within industry and/or progress to VRQ Level 3 Diploma in Nail Technology.
Course fees are per year for full-time & degree-level courses, and per course for part-time ones. The current full-time & degree-level fee information is related to the 2019/20 academic year and is subject to change before the start of the course. Fees for 2020/21 will be updated in the Spring Term. There may also be additional costs associated with the course.
This course is funded by the government and may be free if you are:
- Aged 16-18 on 31/08/19
- Aged 19-23 on an Entry Level or Level 1 course with intent to progress to a Level 2 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first full Level 2 or Level 3 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first Level 4 course (if you haven’t already got a Level 3 qualification)
- Aged 19+ on Functions Skills or GCSE English or Maths
- Unemployed and in receipt of JSA/ESA(WRAG)/Universal Credit or another eligible state benefit on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course
- Member of a low income household & in financial hardship on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course