This is a vocational based qualification; you will study both the practical and theory side of women's hairdressing. It will provide you with a wide range of skills and knowledge, you will be able to work competently progressing straight into the hairdressing industry.
Your practical skills will be supported by underpinning knowledge; this will be conducted by written and oral tests and research workshops. You will be provided with the opportunity to build portfolios of evidence for progression in your future career and on to a higher level of qualification.
You will also be encouraged and required to develop your interpersonal skills and work as part of a team, you will be involved in hairdressing competitions.
On this NVQ Level 2 qualification you will learn and develop a wide range of different skills within each of the following units:
- Advise and consult with clients
- Shampoo, condition and treat the hair and scalp
- Style and finish hair
- Set and dress hair
- Cut hair using basic techniques
- Colour and lighten hair
- Plait and twist hair
- Develop and maintain effectiveness at work
- Fulfil salon reception duties
Assessments are carried out over the course of the study programme and will include:
- Written tests for each unit
- Observations of practical assessments
- Building up your own personal portfolio
- Oral questions
If you are creative, like working with people, and would like to develop your skills, then this could be your pathway to success. Never has there been so many exciting possibilities at the cutting edge of the fashion, style and grooming industry.
You will need to be able to commit to the course and be able to work with others as part of a team and communicate with both clients and colleagues within a practical salon environment.
It is recommended you have a minimum of one day's work experience a week in a salon.
All students interested in this course should contact the course tutor prior to enrolment:
Course Tutor: Abigail Higham
After Your Course
The qualification and the experience you gain on the course will provide you with the competence and the confidence to find employment in the hair and beauty industry. Employment may be found in salons either locally, or further afield. You may also continue with your studies and progress on to the Level 3 NVQ Diploma or an NVQ level 3 apprenticeship.
With wider experience you could progress onto being a senior stylist or salon manager. By taking suitable further qualifications, you could move into training or assessing. Other options include wig making, training in make-up techniques and working in the theatre, film and television industries.
Course fees are per year. The current fee information is related to the 2018/19 academic year and is subject to change before the start of the course. Fees for 2019/20 will be updated in the Spring Term. There may also be additional costs associated with the course.
This course is funded by the government and may be free if you are:
- Aged 16-18 on 31/08/18
- Aged 19-23 on an Entry Level or Level 1 course with intent to progress to a Level 2 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first full Level 2 or Level 3 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first Level 4 course (if you haven’t already got a Level 3 qualification)
- Aged 19+ on Functions Skills or GCSE English or Maths
- Unemployed and in receipt of JSA/ESA(WRAG)/Universal Credit or another eligible state benefit on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course
- Member of a low income household & in financial hardship on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course