This is a vocational based qualification; you will study both the practical and theory side of barbering.
It will provide you with a wide range of skills such as:
- Shampoo and conditioning the hair and scalp
- Cutting men's hair
- Cutting facial hair
- The art of colouring hair
Your practical skills will be supported by underpinning knowledge; this will be conducted by assignments and research workshops. This provides you with a great opportunity to build portfolios of evidence for progression in your future career and on to a higher level of qualification.
You will also be encouraged and required to develop your interpersonal skills and work as part of a team. If you are creative, like working with people and have lots of ambition, barbering could be your pathway to success. Never has there been so many exciting possibilities at the cutting edge of the fashion, style and grooming industry.
On this Level 2 Certificate qualification you will learn a wide range of different skills within each of the following units:
- Working in the hair industry
- Follow health and safety in the salon
- Client consultation for hair services
- Shampoo and condition the hair and scalp
- Cut men's hair
- Cut facial hair
- The art of colouring hair
Assessments are carried out over the course of the study programme and will include:
- Written assignments for each unit
- Observations of practical assessments
- Building up your own personal portfolio
- Oral questions
You will need to provide us with relevant records of your achievements and qualifications.
You will need to be able to commit to the course and be able to work with others as part of a team and communicate with both clients and colleagues within a practical salon environment.
You will also need to have a minimum of one day's work experience a week.
All students interested in this course should contact the course tutor prior to enrolment:
Course Tutor: Abigail Higham
For this Level 2 qualification, entry requirements will be discussed at interview.
After Your Course
The qualification and the experience you gain on this course will help you to progress into the hairdressing and barbering industry and onto a higher level of qualification (Level 2 Diploma in Women's and Men's hair or Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Hairdressing or Barbering) or an apprenticeship.
Course fees are per year. The current fee information is related to the 2018/19 academic year and is subject to change before the start of the course. Fees for 2019/20 will be updated in the Spring Term. There may also be additional costs associated with the course.
This course is funded by the government and may be free if you are:
- Aged 16-18 on 31/08/18
- Aged 19-23 on an Entry Level or Level 1 course with intent to progress to a Level 2 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first full Level 2 or Level 3 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first Level 4 course (if you haven’t already got a Level 3 qualification)
- Aged 19+ on Functions Skills or GCSE English or Maths
- Unemployed and in receipt of JSA/ESA(WRAG)/Universal Credit or another eligible state benefit on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course
- Member of a low income household & in financial hardship on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course