This qualification is for people that are currently undertaking or wish to undertake assessment of a learner's competence in a work environment. You will have to complete all three of these Level 3 units to get your qualification:
- Unit 301 Understanding the principles and practices of assessment, 3 credits
- Unit 302 Assess occupational competence in the work environment, 6 credits
- Unit 303 Assess vocational skills, knowledge and understanding, 6 credits
The duration of this course is 6-12 months. Delivery will be through a combination of group delivery and 1:1 tutorials. Candidates will be required to compile a portfolio of evidence to demonstrate competence. Candidates will be assessed at work.
Unit Titles and Learning Outcomes
Assess occupational competence in the work environment:
- Be able to plan the assessment of occupational competence
- Be able to make assessment decisions about occupational competence
- Be able to provide required information following the assessment of occupational competence
- Be able to maintain legal and good practice requirements when assessing occupational competence
Understanding the principles and practices of assessment:
- Understand the principles and requirements of assessment
- Understand different types of assessment method
- Understand how to plan assessment
- Understand how to involve learners and others in assessment
- Understand how to make assessment decisions
- Understand quality assurance of the assessment process
- Understand how to manage information relating to assessment
- Understand the legal and good practice requirements in relation to assessment
Assess vocational skills, knowledge and understanding:
- Be able to prepare assessments of vocational skills, knowledge and understanding
- Be able to carry out assessments of vocational skills, knowledge and understanding
- Be able to provide required information following the assessment of vocational skills, knowledge and understanding
- Be able to maintain legal and good practice requirements when assessing vocational skills, knowledge and understanding
This qualification is internally assessed.
This Certificate is ideal if you are a practitioner who assesses the achievement of competence in a work environment using observation examining, work products, oral questioning and discussion, use of others (e.g. witnesses), learner statements, recognition of prior Learning (RPL).
Applications must be at least 19 years old and have gained the relevant vocational qualification in the area that they will be assessing and/or have demonstrated occupational competence acceptable to your internal quality assurer.
Applicants need to be able to access a minimum of 2 students and to carry out assessment of their competence. If this is with an organisation other than your own you need to get permission for this to take place and to have your work assessed and verified through that organisation, you will also need to have a mentor in place to support you.
If you require Kendal College to provide learners (minimum of 2) for you to assess whilst doing your qualification please identify this on the pre-registration questionnaire. You need to attend standardisation meetings and generally comply with both internal and external quality assurance procedures.
All students interested in this course should contact the course tutor, Dean Boydell, prior to enrolment:
After Your Course
This qualification will enable you to gain employment as an Assessor in your area of work. Also, progression onto Level 4 Certificate in Education and Training.
The fee displayed is the course fee. Course fees are per year for full-time courses and per course for part-time courses.
There may be other costs associated with this course, e.g. kit, equipment, books, trips etc. Financial support may be available to support you with these. See the Student Money pages for more information.
The current full-time & degree-level fee information is related to the 2023/24 academic year.
Level 3-6 Courses
Advanced Learning Loans are available for students aged 19 or over and studying eligible level 3, 4, 5 & 6 courses. If you are on an Access course, the loan will be written off if you complete a degree.
You may qualify for financial support to cover the cost of a Level 3 qualification if you do not already have a Level 3 qualification (this will depend on the course & your age on 31/08/23).
Please speak to Student Services for more information on course fees.
The fees displayed are for the one-year AS-Level course. If you would like to progress onto the full A-Level, please get in touch with us for the cost of the second year, as it will be different.
16-18 year olds
There are no course fees if you were aged 16-18 on 31/08/23 and are not studying at another institution.