This course is practically based, offering a wide range of skills such as creative colour and colour correction.
Your practical skills will be supported by underpinning knowledge for each unit by written and oral tests, research workshops which build up portfolios of evidence.
You will also be encouraged to develop your interpersonal skills and work as part of a team. You will get involved in hairdressing fashion shows and competitions and work to produce a portfolio of your practical work.
This is a vocationally based qualification. If you are creative, like working with people and have lots of ambition, hairdressing could be your pathway to success.
Successful hairdressers can take their pick from many top jobs - working in top salons in the UK or on magazines or photoshoots in the fashion media.
You will also be encouraged to develop your skills in communication, interpersonal skills, personal appearance and social behaviour and work as part of a team.
At level 3, NVQ Diploma, you will study the following four mandatory units:
- Creatively colour and lighten hair
- Provide hairdressing consultation
- Creatively cut hair using a combination of techniques
- Creatively style and dress hair
Plus optional units specific to your job role such as:
- Hair colour correction services
- Provide colour correction services
- Develop and enhance your creative hairdressing skills
The majority of the qualification is completed through practical assessments.
At Level 3, you will need a Level 2 Diploma or NVQ in Hairdressing or Barbering.
Industrial experience and prior learning can support your application.
You will also need to have a minimum of one day's work experience a week.
All students interested in this course should contact the course tutor prior to enrolment:
Course Tutor: Emily Jackson
After Your Course
You could work as a hairdresser in salons throughout the UK, other opportunities in a number of other places, such as hotels, hospitals and care homes and cruise ships and armed forces bases. With experience you could progress to jobs like senior stylist or salon manager. Recognition of your qualifications by employers can lead to rapid career development in the workplace or progression on to higher levels of study.
Course fees are per year. The current fee information is related to the 2019/20 academic year and is subject to change before the start of the course. Fees for 2020/21 will be updated in the Spring Term. There may also be additional costs associated with the course.
This course is funded by the government and may be free if you are:
- Aged 16-18 on 31/08/19
- Aged 19-23 on an Entry Level or Level 1 course with intent to progress to a Level 2 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first full Level 2 or Level 3 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first Level 4 course (if you haven’t already got a Level 3 qualification)
- Aged 19+ on Functions Skills or GCSE English or Maths
- Unemployed and in receipt of JSA/ESA(WRAG)/Universal Credit or another eligible state benefit on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course
- Member of a low income household & in financial hardship on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course
Level 3-6 Courses for Adults
Advanced Learning Loans are available for students aged 19+ and studying an eligible Level 3/4/5 and 6 Course. If you are on an Access course, the loan will be written off if you complete a degree.
Please speak to Student Services for more information on course fees.