New Media has created a high demand for talented graphic designers and on this course you will explore the principals of graphic design, learn how it has evolved, and discover what the future holds for one of the fastest growing careers in the world. The course is taught using Adobe Software on Apple Mac computers. You will learn how to choose appropriate equipment and software for a design project. On completion, you will acheive a Level 2 Award in Creative Craft (Graphic Design).
The course will also be useful to those employed in marketing, web design, fashion; and those with an interest in creating 'on-line content' generally.
Learning Styles: Taught elements, demonstrations and hands on practical tasks using Adobe CS, with tutor support.
This course will involve some personal study outside the class.
You will learn basic software skills in Photoshop, Indesign and Illustrator.
Need to think like a designer? This course gives you the opportunity to develop the skills related to the basic elements of design.
You will learn to:
- Develop effective design ideas through creative thinking and problem solving.
- Identify the four basic design elements namely composition, colour, type, and imagery and how they communicate a message.
- Brainstorm words and images to develop a creative design concept for a client.
- Develop effective design concepts for specific types of print media.
- Identify the use of humour, drama, or realism to attract attention and associate a product with an emotion.
- Choose appropriate equipment and software for a design project.
- Provide thoughtful commentary on existing design pieces demonstrating understanding of design elements, communication, audience, and tone.
There is no formal examination element to this course. You will be assessed via a blog portfolio of work produced throughout the course.
Basic skills in using a computer. An interest in Graphic Design, and the enthusiasm to learn new skills.
Some experience of using Adobe Creative Suite would help you, but is not essential.
There are no additional course costs, or equipment requirements.
After Your Course
After completing this course, you may wish to progress onto:
- Introduction to Film Making
- Create a Website for your Business
- Graphic Design, Level 3
- Photography, Level 1, 2 or 3
Full-Time Courses (3 days a week):
- Art & Design, Level 2
- Art & Design, Level 3
- Art & Design, Foundation Diploma
- HNC/ D Film & Photography
Course fees are per year. The current fee information is related to the 2019/20 academic year and is subject to change before the start of the course. Fees for 2020/21 will be updated in the Spring Term. There may also be additional costs associated with the course.
This course is funded by the government and may be free if you are:
- Aged 16-18 on 31/08/19
- Aged 19-23 on an Entry Level or Level 1 course with intent to progress to a Level 2 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first full Level 2 or Level 3 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first Level 4 course (if you haven’t already got a Level 3 qualification)
- Aged 19+ on Functions Skills or GCSE English or Maths
- Unemployed and in receipt of JSA/ESA(WRAG)/Universal Credit or another eligible state benefit on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course
- Member of a low income household & in financial hardship on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course