There are over seven million participants in the fitness industry; therefore there is a clear need for every employee to be knowledgeable and competent in the health and fitness industry. The opportunities in the Active Leisure industry are very broad and this course is primarily designed for those working as or wanting to work as fitness instructors.
You will be required to attend College one evening per week and gain some relevant experience in the health and fitness industry.
This qualification will provide you with the skills to become a competent instructor in the health and fitness industry.
During your programme, you will study the Level 2 Certificate in Fitness Instructing (Gym-Based Exercise), which has been designed to provide you with the knowledge and understanding to develop your competency skills to work as a fitness instructor. You will develop your skills in planning, delivering and evaluating gym sessions.
You will be provided with the skills and knowledge to instruct exercise and fitness. This will be gained through learning about anatomy and physiology including how the body works. You will also develop your knowledge in safe planning and delivery of gym-based exercise.
As part of your course, you will complete the following four units:
- Health, safety and welfare in a fitness environment
- Principles of exercise, fitness and health
- Know how to support clients who take part in exercise and physical activity
- Anatomy and physiology for exercise
You will also complete two specialist gym-based units:
- Planning gym-based exercise
- Instructing gym-based exercise
The course will include practical and theory. A range of assessment methods will be used including written reports, session plans, practical observations and recorded demonstrations.
Assignments and written work are an important part of the course, so you should have some evidence of Level 2 literacy or above e.g. GSCE Grade C/ 4 or above, writing reports at work etc.
Potential students should have a positive, motivating, can do attitude and be willing to work both as part of a team or on their own. Applicants are expected to have the skills to work with and motivate a variety of different clients.
All students interested in this course should contact the James Saxon prior to enrolment:
After Your Course
This qualification will provide you with the skills to become a competent instructor in the health and fitness industry. You could also progress onto the Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training.
During the course you will be supported in finding a suitable job in the health and fitness industry.
Recognition of your qualifications by employers can also lead to rapid career development in the workplace.
Course fees are per year. The current fee information is related to the 2019/20 academic year and is subject to change before the start of the course. Fees for 2020/21 will be updated in the Spring Term. There may also be additional costs associated with the course.
This course is funded by the government and may be free if you are:
- Aged 16-18 on 31/08/19
- Aged 19-23 on an Entry Level or Level 1 course with intent to progress to a Level 2 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first full Level 2 or Level 3 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first Level 4 course (if you haven’t already got a Level 3 qualification)
- Aged 19+ on Functions Skills or GCSE English or Maths
- Unemployed and in receipt of JSA/ESA(WRAG)/Universal Credit or another eligible state benefit on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course
- Member of a low income household & in financial hardship on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course