This course has been developed by award-winning documentary filmmaker Dom Bush. His films have been screened throughout the UK festival circuit and abroad and featured on Channel 4 and All 4. He has extensive experience working with companies such as the BBC, The Guardian and Kendal Mountain Film Festival. Based in Kendal, Dom has taught Film Production at Kendal College for the past 5 years.
Over 14 weeks, students will develop the critical skills required in the documentary filmmaking process and explore the creative cycle to create a short film. Guided by workshops, video resources and demonstrations, students can expect to develop an understanding of basic composition, framing, cinematography and editing before learning to host and share their final film.
The film production course is ideal for those who wish to gain experience of visual media, create content for businesses or organisations, or those who would like to explore their creative ideas more effectively by better understanding the creative cycle.
The course will be taught through demonstrations, group discussions and hands-on practical tasks. This course will involve some personal study outside the class.
You will be taken through the visual communication process to help you explore media and develop a series of artwork.
The course will include time spent on tutor-led workshops, these will include:
- Ideas Generation and development
- Camera and exposure settings
- Camera handling and movement
- Sound recording and design
- Shooting for the edit and sequencing
- Editing techniques and exporting
- Sharing and releasing content
You will be assessed via a Wordpress blog of work produced throughout the course, this will include research, test shoots, edits and a written evaluation. On completing the course, you will achieve a UAL Level 2 Award in Creative Media Production & Technology.
There is no formal examination element to this course. You will be assessed via a Wordpress blog of work produced throughout the course. This will include research, test shoots, edits and a written evaluation.
After Your Course
After completing this course, you may wish to progress onto:
- Photography, Level 2
- Create a Website for your Business
Full-Time Courses (3 days a week):
- Art & Design, Level 2
- Art & Design, Level 3
- Art & Design, Foundation Diploma
- HNC/ D Film & Photography
Course fees are per year. The current fee information is related to the 2019/20 academic year and is subject to change before the start of the course. Fees for 2020/21 will be updated in the Spring Term. There may also be additional costs associated with the course.
This course is funded by the government and may be free if you are:
- Aged 16-18 on 31/08/19
- Aged 19-23 on an Entry Level or Level 1 course with intent to progress to a Level 2 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first full Level 2 or Level 3 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first Level 4 course (if you haven’t already got a Level 3 qualification)
- Aged 19+ on Functions Skills or GCSE English or Maths
- Unemployed and in receipt of JSA/ESA(WRAG)/Universal Credit or another eligible state benefit on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course
- Member of a low income household & in financial hardship on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course