The WSET Award in Wines is a recognised qualification around the globe that will give you a solid grounding in wine tasting, enable you to focus on the key grape varieties and regions of the world.
This course runs for one day per week for 7 weeks.
You will be taught the basic principles of:
- How to taste wine.
- Food and wine matching and how this is affected by cooking.
- Factors affecting wine production.
- How and why different grape varieties are affected in terms of style and quality depending on where they are from.
From completing this it will give you a comprehensive overview of wine and the different styles that exist and how they are produced.
You will complete one multiple choice exam taken in a maximum time of 1 hour that will consist of 50 multiple choice questions.
You must be over 18 years of age and have an interest in wines and a desire to increase your knowledge. The course is intended for those who are employed in areas such as Restaurants, Hotels, Off - Licences or Wine Stores or just want to improve their knowledge.
After Your Course
The opportunities from completing this course are varied, and include progression within the hospitality industry, where you may use it towards becoming a sommelier or it could be used as a tool for enhancing staff/ own knowledge and increasing sales. Other areas to use this qualification are within the pub trade - for landlords who want to improve knowledge and/or upgrade their wines and increase sales. Other students may have a keen general interest in wine and want to improve their own knowledge for home use.
The fee displayed is the course fee. Course fees are per year for full-time & degree-level courses and per course for part-time courses.
There may be other costs associated with this course, e.g. kit, equipment, books, trips etc. Financial support may be available to support you with these. See the Student Money pages for more information.
The current full-time & degree-level fee information is related to the 2023/24 academic year.
Entry Level, Level 1 & Level 2 Courses
You may qualify for financial support to cover the cost of a government-funded qualification if any of the below apply to you:
- Have an annual salary of less than £20,319.
- Receive an eligible means-tested benefit, e.g. JSA, ESA or Universal Credit.
- Are aged 16-18 on 31/08/23 and are not studying at another school/college.
- Are aged 19 or over on 31/08/23 and do not already have a Level 1, 2 or 3 qualification.
- Have a household income under £35,000 and are in financial hardship.
See the Student Money pages for more information.