Classes include lectures supported by hand-outs, tutor demonstration and worked examples. This is followed by students working practical examples to apply new techniques and practices in preparation for the exam and the work place.
The units include Bookkeeping Transactions, Bookkeeping Controls, Elements of Costing and Using Accounting Software. Each unit is assessed by a computer based exam followed by a synoptic exam at the end of the course.
This course is suitable for those starting a career in accounting. You should have four GCSEs at grade 4 - 9 (A*-C), including English and Maths, but please speak to the course tutor for guidance.
You will need to register as a member of AAT to sit the exams. The cost of this is circa 130 pounds.
Your enrolment will include the first sitting for all exams. Any resit will be subject to a fee of circa 45 pounds.
After Your Course
The AAT is an internationally recognised qualification which is sought after by employers. Typical job opportunities include finance assistant, assistant accountant, purchase or sales ledger clerk and credit controller. This course is also useful for anyone starting to run their own business and doing their books.
Following the successful completion of AAT Foundation Certificate in Accounting (Level 2) students can progress onto the AAT Advanced Diploma in Accounting (Level 3).
Course fees are per year. The current fee information is related to the 2019/20 academic year and is subject to change before the start of the course. Fees for 2020/21 will be updated in the Spring Term. There may also be additional costs associated with the course.
This course is funded by the government and may be free if you are:
- Aged 16-18 on 31/08/19
- Aged 19-23 on an Entry Level or Level 1 course with intent to progress to a Level 2 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first full Level 2 or Level 3 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first Level 4 course (if you haven’t already got a Level 3 qualification)
- Aged 19+ on Functions Skills or GCSE English or Maths
- Unemployed and in receipt of JSA/ESA(WRAG)/Universal Credit or another eligible state benefit on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course
- Member of a low income household & in financial hardship on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course