If you are interested in a career in uniformed public services, responding to emergencies, or progression to level 3, then this is the course for you!
This course usually takes place over three days each week. It is a mixture of physical, practical activities and theory classes.
The qualification you will achieve:
BTEC Level 2 Diploma - Preparation for the Public Services
You will study subjects including:
- Public service skills and support for the community
- Employment in the Uniformed Public Services
- Health & fitness for entry to the Uniformed Public Services
- Activities & teamwork for the Uniformed Public Services
- Planning and Responding to Emergency Incidents
- Driving in the Uniformed Public Services
You will complete two weeks of work experience/volunteering at a relevant organisation, which will be tailored to your particular area of interest.
Internal & external assessments will be ongoing throughout your level 2 course.
Internal assessments will include (as examples) individual presentations, group projects, creating plans for protective services work, written evaluations and assessment of physical activities, delivery of a session and practical assessment.
Externally assessed work is by examination and externally assessed course work.
You should have a minimum of four GCSEs grade 3 or above, including English or a Level 1 Diploma at Merit or Distinction.
In addition, you will be given an interview with a member of the teaching team to assess your suitability and potential for successful completion of the course.
NB: Enrolment on this course is dependent on meeting the Entry Requirements stated above.
After Your Course
Following this course, you may choose to pursue a career in the Police, Armed Forces, Fire and Rescue, the Prison Service or other uniformed protective services.
Higher-level study is also accessible with this Level 2 qualification in areas including (but not limited to): Uniformed Protective Services, Criminology, and Outdoor Adventure.
There is a wide range of occupations for entry across the uniformed protective services, including roles in the police service and armed service roles.
The fee displayed is the course fee. Course fees are per year for full-time & degree-level courses, and per course for part-time courses.
There may be other costs associated with this course e.g. kit, equipment, books, trips etc. Financial support may be available to support you with these. See the Student Money pages for more information.
The current full-time & degree-level fee information is related to the 2022/23 academic year.
Entry Level, Level 1 & Level 2 Courses
You may qualify for financial support to cover the cost of a government-funded qualification if any of the below apply to you:
- Have an annual salary of less than £18,525
- Receive an eligible means-tested benefit e.g. JSA, ESA or Universal Credit
- Are aged 16-18 on 31/08/22 and are not studying at another school/college
- Are aged 19 or over on 31/08/22 and do not already have a Level 1, 2 or 3 qualification
- Have a household income under £35,000 and are in financial hardship
See the Student Money pages for more information.