On the A-Level Geography course you will be in class for 4 and a half hours a week. Topics include the Water and Carbon Cycles, Hazards, Glacial Systems, Global Systems and Governance, Resource Security and Changing Places. These modules cover both human and physical Geography themes. They are taught through a variety of theory sessions, practical activities and multimedia resources. Classes are complemented by compulsory fieldwork. The Glacial Systems fieldwork will be conducted within the Lake District National Park; a relict glacial landscape of international status. Fieldwork for human modules will be conducted within local and national towns and cities that provide the opportunity to examine economic, political and demographic themes.
This A-Level is awarded by AQA.
This A-Level course allows students to develop key intellectual skills such as literacy, numeracy, critical evaluation and informed decision making. The course integrates a variety of data sources such as Geographical Information Services (GIS) and fieldwork, therefore allowing students to develop a broad range of research skills. Furthermore, the course will allow students to develop their team working, problem solving and communication skills. In sum, these skills mean that students are empowered to make informed decisions both academically and in the wider world.
The course is assessed by two exams at the end of the A level course: one human and one physical paper. These comprise a total of 80% of the marks and require a combination of short and long written answers, as well as mathematical problem solving. The remaining 20% of the marks are allocated to the Geographical Fieldwork Investigation. This investigation allows students to develop their independent study skills and explore a topic they feel passionate about.
Course staff have teaching, research and industry experience.
5 GCSEs at Grade 5 or above (A*-C) which must include Maths
GCSE English Language at Grade 6 (or B)
This subject would suit independent students with a natural curiosity for the world around them, and requires students to apply a broad range of academic skills (e.g. extended writing, statistics and field skills).
After Your Course
Given the breadth of skills Geographers develop, they are highly employable. As such, students with an A Level in Geography continue into a diversity of careers including (but certainly not limited to) town planning, flood management, conservation and the natural resources industries.
The Russell Group universities also identified an A Level in Geography as one of the eight facilitating subjects. Therefore, students are well prepared for further study at university. Geography graduates have one of the highest rates of graduate employment, illustrating the subject prepares students well for their future careers.
The fee displayed is the course fee. Course fees are per year for full-time courses and per course for part-time courses.
There may be other costs associated with this course, e.g. kit, equipment, books, trips etc. Financial support may be available to support you with these. See the Student Money pages for more information.
The current full-time & degree-level fee information is related to the 2023/24 academic year.
Level 3-6 Courses
Advanced Learning Loans are available for students aged 19 or over and studying eligible level 3, 4, 5 & 6 courses. If you are on an Access course, the loan will be written off if you complete a degree.
You may qualify for financial support to cover the cost of a Level 3 qualification if you do not already have a Level 3 qualification (this will depend on the course & your age on 31/08/23).
Please speak to Student Services for more information on course fees.
The fees displayed are for the one-year AS-Level course. If you would like to progress onto the full A-Level, please get in touch with us for the cost of the second year, as it will be different.
16-18 year olds
There are no course fees if you were aged 16-18 on 31/08/23 and are not studying at another institution.