Particularly suitable for those with limited time to attend college but with a keen interest in developing an understanding of Autism, learners will develop their understanding by studying the following areas:
- Introduction to autism
- Using a person-centred approach to support individuals with autism
- Communication and social interaction in individuals with autism
- Sensory processing, perception and cognition in individuals with autism
- Supporting positive behaviour in individuals with autism
- Supporting individuals with autism to live healthy and fulfilled lives.
"I thought I knew a lot about Autism from many years of studying books, talks and videos online from various professionals and first-hand experience with my daughter. But this course has helped me fill in lots of the gaps in my knowledge and work out some other things that I had misinterpreted before." - Danielle Wilsher-Goodman
This qualification is a valuable resource for those working in schools and childcare settings. The format of the programme allows a flexible approach to learning and provides an understanding to support those working with individuals who have a diagnosis of Autism. It is useful for learners who provide direct support and those working in sectors such as healthcare, social care, leisure, entertainment, education and training, nursing.
Learners will receive a resource pack which includes study modules.
Module submissions can be hand written in the workbooks provided and posted to college or alternatively, electronic modules can be supplied for submission.
This course is designed for those who work or have an interest in Health and Social Care, including those in a work role and informal/family carers. Learners must be aged 19 or over to enrol on the course, be living in England and not taking part in full-time education. Entry is at the discretion of the college. Kendal College will ensure that this course is appropriate for the age and ability of the learner. This may involve an assessment to ensure learners can meet the criteria and comply with this course's relevant literacy, numeracy, and health and safety aspects.
Any learners that enrol with a home postcode in any of the following regions are not entitled to funding through the college and would have to be funded on a full-cost basis:
- Greater Manchester
- Liverpool City
- West Midlands
- West of England
- Tees Valley
- Cambridgeshire & Peterborough
- Greater London
- Newcastle Upon Tyne, North Tyneside & Northumberland
- South Yorkshire
- West Yorkshire
After Your Course
Learners who achieve this qualification could progress to the following:
- Level 3 Certificate in Understanding the Principles of Dementia Care
- Apprenticeships in Health and Social Care
- Level 2 Certificate in Mental Health Problems
- Level 2 Certificate in Common Health Conditions
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Behaviours that Challenge
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding Children and Young People's Mental Health
- Level 2 Certificate in Understanding the Safe Handling of Medication in Health & Social Care
- Principles of Team Leading
The fee displayed is the course fee. Course fees are per year for full-time & degree-level courses, and per course for part-time courses.
There may be other costs associated with this course e.g. kit, equipment, books, trips etc. Financial support may be available to support you with these. See the Student Money pages for more information.
The current full-time & degree-level fee information is related to the 2022/23 academic year.
Entry Level, Level 1 & Level 2 Courses
You may qualify for financial support to cover the cost of a government-funded qualification if any of the below apply to you:
- Have an annual salary of less than £18,525
- Receive an eligible means-tested benefit e.g. JSA, ESA or Universal Credit
- Are aged 16-18 on 31/08/22 and are not studying at another school/college
- Are aged 19 or over on 31/08/22 and do not already have a Level 1, 2 or 3 qualification
- Have a household income under £35,000 and are in financial hardship
See the Student Money pages for more information.