To achieve this qualification you will study a range of units, including:
- Maintain food safety when storing, preparing and cooking food
- Maintain the health, hygiene, safety and security of the working environment
- Develop productive working relationships with colleagues
- Prepare, cook and finish advanced dough products
- Prepare, cook and finish advanced pastry products
- Prepare, cook and finish complex cakes, sponges, biscuits and scones
- Prepare, cook and finish complex chocolate products
- Contribute to the development of recipes and menus (optional)
- Prepare, cook and finish sugar work
- Prepare, cook and serve hot and cold desserts
- Prepare, cook and serve sauces, fillings and coatings
Your learning will be through a combination of workshops, plenary sessions and individual work.
You will develop the skills to produce and present desserts to the highest professional standards in the industry. You will receive the highest levels of creativity in patisserie which will enable you to perform at the top establishments in the UK.
Assessment is via theory and practical work and includes:
- Portfolio of Evidence
A portfolio of evidence will be created and maintained. Your tutor will put together an assessment plan with you and agree when, where and how you will be assessed and what sorts of evidence you can collect for your portfolio.
- Continuous assessment of practical work.
There are no formal exams.
This course is ideal if you've worked in a professional kitchen for some time, or have a Level 2 qualification. Your work might involve supervising others. Please do not hesitate to contact the College to discuss this aspect of the programme with the tutor.
This nationally recognised qualification is gained in the workplace so you also need to be currently working in the industry.
All students interested in this course should contact the course tutor, Yannick Lequitte, prior to enrolment:
After Your Course
When you have successfully completed this course, you could develop your culinary skills further, perhaps to become a specialist chef or move into a management role.
The fee displayed is the course fee. Course fees are per year for full-time courses and per course for part-time courses.
There may be other costs associated with this course e.g. kit, equipment, books, trips etc. Financial support may be available to support you with these. See the Student Money pages for more information.
The current full-time & degree-level fee information is related to the 2022/23 academic year.
Level 3-6 Courses
Advanced Learning Loans are available for students aged 19 or over and studying an eligible Level 3/4/5 and 6 Course. If you are on an Access course, the loan will be written off if you complete a degree.
You may qualify for financial support to cover the cost of a Level 3 qualification if you do not already have a Level 3 qualification (this will depend on the course & your age on 31/08/22).
Please speak to Student Services for more information on course fees.
The fees displayed are for the 1-year AS-Level course. If you would like to progress onto the full A-Level, please contact us for the cost of the second year as it will be different.
16-18 year olds
There are no course fees if you were aged 16-18 on 31/08/22, and are not studying at another institution.