We will be holding a virtual interest event for the Supported Internship on Tuesday 17th May 2022 at 3:30pm on Zoom.
Register your interest here to receive further details!
The supported internship programme has been developed in partnership with DFN Project SEARCH and a host employer. This is a 5-day internship based at the workplace.
The programme is aimed at young people aged 18-24 with an EHCP who aspire to paid employment. Working with a tutor and a Job Coach you will have the opportunity to learn and practice essential skills in a real working environment. You will rotate through three skill-building opportunities at the workplace to broaden your skillset and work in a variety of different settings.
Throughout the programme year, you will work towards a level 1 Certificate in Employability Skills and you will continue to develop your literacy and numeracy skills. Training room activities are designed around: Team Building, Workplace Safety, Technology, Maintaining Employment, Self Advocacy, Financial Literacy, Health and Wellness, and Preparing for Employment.
Examples of Hospital Rotations and skills to be taught:
- Clerical: Filing, data entry, other computer skills, phones, reception, meet and greet, information desk, digital scanning, coding.
- Transport: Portering (records, materials, people, specimens), fleet maintenance, ambulance assistant.
- Patient Care: Personal care, personal support.
- Grounds: Mowing, strimming, planting.
- Maintenance: PAT testing, painting, changing lightbulbs, changing filters, fridges - temperature checking, waste management.
- Retail: Till work, fronting shelves, expiration date check.
- Sterile Services: Surgical kit assembly, sterilising (e.g. Gastro and scoping areas), wrapping jugs and bowls, stocking, picking up and prepping dirty side instruments.
- Pharmacy: Delivery, stocking, reporting.
- Labs: Centrifuge, glass cleaning, stocking, sterilising, and changing chemicals.
- Medical Records: Filing, retrieving, purging, pulling documents.
- Stores: Receiving, delivery, stocking, post room.
- Radiology: Digitalising x-rays, eliminating ghost imaging, transporting patients, delivering X-rays.
- Durable Medical Equipment: Equipment sterilisation, pick up and delivery (wheelchairs, incubators, IV pumps, isolettes).
- Catering: hospitality (fridge stocking), meeting room set up, food handling (meal preparation, meal delivery).
- Domestics: Sanitary dispensers/infection control, floors, emergency room, ground floor windows.
- Laundry: Bagged and picked up from floors, counted, folded and returned to floors.
- Education: Room set up, AV, CPR doll maintenance.
There are no formal entry requirements but your place must be commissioned by the local authority. You must also be highly motivated and have a desire to secure a job after the programme concludes.
After Your Course
There is a likelihood that successful completion of the programme could lead to paid employment with the NHS.