Professional engineers are at the forefront of developing new ideas in an ever changing world and are highly valued within industry. They form the backbone of research and development in their respective fields.
Level 4 HNCs provide a nationally recognised qualification offering career progression and professional development for those already in employment as well as opportunities for students to progress into Higher Education.
The course will take two years of part-time study to complete. It will provide the knowledge and practical skills relevant to the Mechanical Engineering Industry. This course is awarded by Pearson.
The course will take place at the Main Site at Kendal College and will start in September 2017.
There is an option to complete modules part-time rather than the full qualification.
Generally, you will only get student finance if you're doing your first higher education qualification. This is true even if your previous course was self-funded.
Whether you qualify for student finance depends on certain criteria, please see www.gov.uk/student-finance and our college 'Student Money' pages: www.kendal.ac.uk/studentmoney.
Topics will include the following mandatory modules:
- Analytical Methods for Engineers
- Engineering Science
- Project Design, Implementation and Evaluation
Optional modules will also include:
- Health, Safety and Risk Assessment in Engineering
- Energy Management
- Further Mathematics for Engineering Technicians
- Fluid Mechanics
- Advanced Computer-aided Design Techniques
The units will be assessed by a series of written and practical assignments. There are no formal examinations.
The awarding body for the HNC is Pearson (Edexcel).
Applicants must be 18 yrs of age or over and have one or more of the following:
- BTEC National Engineering Diploma/Certificate with merit profile (or equivalent)
- An A Level in an analytical subject (Math or Physics).
- L3 Diploma in Electrical Installations. (It is a requirement that students must have studied Maths at L3 and as such some students may have to complete a L3 Maths bridging unit).
- Any appropriate L3 Electrical Qualification would be considered subject to interview.
Students with no formal qualifications but with a wide engineering background may be considered but will have to attend an interview.
Alternatively please feel free to come to Kendal College and talk to our HE co-ordinator based in Student Services at main site next to reception.
How to Apply:
Contact Karen Shaw, Student Services Team Leader, for an application form:
firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 01539 814748.
After Your Course
Learners who achieve a HNC qualification typically move into supervisory and management roles within a company.
Course fees are per year. The current fee information is related to the 2019/20 academic year and is subject to change before the start of the course. Fees for 2020/21 will be updated in the Spring Term. There may also be additional costs associated with the course.
This course is funded by the government and may be free if you are:
- Aged 16-18 on 31/08/19
- Aged 19-23 on an Entry Level or Level 1 course with intent to progress to a Level 2 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first full Level 2 or Level 3 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first Level 4 course (if you haven’t already got a Level 3 qualification)
- Aged 19+ on Functions Skills or GCSE English or Maths
- Unemployed and in receipt of JSA/ESA(WRAG)/Universal Credit or another eligible state benefit on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course
- Member of a low income household & in financial hardship on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course