BTEC Higher Nationals are designed to provide a specialist vocational programme, linked to professional body requirements and National Occupational Standards where appropriate. This course is awarded by Pearson.
They offer a strong, sector-related emphasis on practical skills development alongside the development of requisite knowledge and understanding.
The qualifications provide a thorough grounding in the key concepts and practical skills required in their sector and their national recognition by employers allows direct progression to employment.
On the HND you will study eight units per year over two years. The course will be delivered on the Milnthorpe Road Campus.
There is an option to complete modules rather than the full qualification.
- The Contemporary Hospitality Industry
- Finance in the Hospitality Industry
- Customer Service
- Food and Beverage Operations Management
- The Developing Manager
- Rooms Division Operations Management
- Research Project
- Human Resource Management
- Creative patisserie (double module)
- Gastronomy (double module)
- Marketing in Hospitality
- Tourist Destinations
- Conference & Banqueting sector
- Law for Licensed premises
As part of the programme you will be required to purchase equipment and uniform for the practical kitchen units.
You will learn a wide variety of skills that will prepare you for a higher level of education as well as a plethora of employability skills.
There will be a key focus on knowledge and skill development to equip you for your first management position within the industry. Such skills will include;
Time management, financial awareness & profitability, operational performance levels, motivation skills, people management, self-presentation, legal compliance and many more.
Learning will also be enriched by industry visits for each unit where learners will have an opportunity to experience and observe different hospitality sectors. There will be 2-3 visits each year, some visits will incur a cost.
Each unit will incorporate a variety of assessment methods such as: written reports, essays, presentations, case studies and practical assessments.
You will need to have one of the following level 3 qualifications;
L3 National Diploma in Hospitality, Travel and Tourism, Business or other subject area, NVQ level 3 qualification or A or A/S Levels. You will need 48 UCAS points.
You will also need to have gained a GCSE in Maths and English at grade C or above (which we can help you achieve if your grades are not high enough).
Mature applicants with related work experience are welcomed. If you have any queries about this aspect of the programme, please contact the College to discuss your application with the course tutor.
Applications for this course:
Please apply via UCAS - www.ucas.com.
After Your Course
After completing a HND you may be able to progress to the top-up of a Honours degree programme at university.
The course will also prepare you for work in the industry at management level and allow opportunities to join graduate training programmes in the industry.
Course fees are per year. The current fee information is related to the 2018/19 academic year and is subject to change before the start of the course. Fees for 2019/20 will be updated in the Spring Term. There may also be additional costs associated with the course.
This course is funded by the government and may be free if you are:
- Aged 16-18 on 31/08/18
- Aged 19-23 on an Entry Level or Level 1 course with intent to progress to a Level 2 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first full Level 2 or Level 3 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first Level 4 course (if you haven’t already got a Level 3 qualification)
- Aged 19+ on Functions Skills or GCSE English or Maths
- Unemployed and in receipt of JSA/ESA(WRAG)/Universal Credit or another eligible state benefit
- Member of a low income household & in financial hardship on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course