On the A-Level Biology course, you will attend lessons for 4.5 hours per week. In addition, you will be expected to review your notes, make revision material and complete homework set by tutors each week.
You will complete the AS-Level in the first year and the A2 in the second to form a full A-Level.
The course includes a wide range of topics in Biology, and will be taught through theory sessions, practical activities, learning games and online activities.
The course can be taken in the following ways:
- Within KC Sixth with another two, possibly three A-Levels, tutorial and optional EPQ and Core maths
- As an 'add on' to a Full Time Level 3 Study Programme at the College, for example alongside a BTEC Extended Diploma
- As a stand-alone part-time course
If you would like to study a full-time programme of A-levels, please complete a full-time application form.
- 5 GCSEs at Grade 5 or above (A*-C) which must include English Language and Maths
- GCSE Biology at Grade 6 (or B) or BB in Double Science
After Your Course
This course will contribute to the requirements for an exciting range of opportunities for further study e.g. you could choose to take degree-level courses in Psychology, Sport & Exercise Science, Biomedical Science, Medicine, Toxicology, Ecology, Nursing, and many more.
This could lead to a wide variety of careers, e.g. Teacher, Doctor, Environmental Scientist, Conservation Officer, Geneticist, Microbiologist, Research Scientist, Science Journalist etc.
Course fees are per year. The current fee information is related to the 2018/19 academic year and is subject to change before the start of the course. Fees for 2019/20 will be updated in the Spring Term. There may also be additional costs associated with the course.
This course is funded by the government and may be free if you are:
- Aged 16-18 on 31/08/18
- Aged 19-23 on an Entry Level or Level 1 course with intent to progress to a Level 2 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first full Level 2 or Level 3 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first Level 4 course (if you haven’t already got a Level 3 qualification)
- Aged 19+ on Functions Skills or GCSE English or Maths
- Unemployed and in receipt of JSA/ESA(WRAG)/Universal Credit or another eligible state benefit
- Member of a low income household & in financial hardship on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course
Level 3 Courses for Adults
Advanced Learning Loans are available for students aged 19+ and studying an eligible Level 3/4/5 and 6 Course. If you are on an Access course, the loan will be written off if you complete a degree.
Please speak to Student Services for more information on course fees.