The primary outcome of the VTCT Level 4 Diploma in Advanced Beauty Therapy is to prepare you to enter the beauty therapy sector as an advanced senior beauty therapist or at management level.
The advanced techniques covered in the mandatory section of this qualification include:
- laser and light treatments for hair removal & skin rejuvenation
- microdermabrasion techniques
You will also gain knowledge and understanding of:
- dermatology and microbiology
- physiology of ageing
- management of health, safety and security in the salon
- quality management of client care and salon management
You will also have the opportunity to further develop your knowledge and skills by selecting from a range of optional units, including:
- research, IT and data handling
- cultural social and technological influences on beauty-related industries OR
- public relations in the hair and beauty sector
This Diploma is for students who want to learn advanced techniques within the industry and are looking to elevate their career path.
To study at level 4, you must be able to work independently be self-motivating and genuine passion for learning or curiosity to develop your skills. You will be required to submit structured pieces of research and run client-based clinics throughout the length of the course.
The course is mainly classroom based; however, there are opportunities for course-related trips and seminars
Assessment is set, marked and internally quality assured by the centre to clearly demonstrate achievement of the learning outcomes. Assessment is sampled by VTCT external quality assurers. Externally assessed question papers completed electronically will be set and marked by VTCT.
VTCT qualifications are assessed and quality assured by centre staff. Work will be set to improve your practical skills, knowledge and understanding. For practical elements, you will be observed by your assessor. All your work must be collected in a portfolio of evidence and cross-referenced to requirements listed in this record of assessment book.
As part of this qualification, you are required to produce a portfolio of evidence. A portfolio will confirm the knowledge, understanding and skills that you have learnt. It may be in electronic or paper format.
Your assessor will provide guidance on how to prepare the portfolio of evidence and how to show practical achievement and understanding of the knowledge required to complete this qualification successfully. It is this booklet along with the portfolio of evidence that will serve as the prime source of evidence for this qualification.
Evidence in the portfolio may take the following forms:
- Observed work
- Witness statements
- Audio-visual media
- Evidence of prior learning or attainment
- Written questions
- Oral questions
- Case studies
Entry on to this qualification can be via prior attainment of a Beauty Therapy qualification at level 3 plus English & Maths at GCSE Grade 4 or above.
The Process for adult applicants without traditional qualifications would depend on previous experience in the related area that would be discussed during an interview with the tutor.
After Your Course
This qualification is based on the Habia National Occupational Standards (NOS) and is recognised by the leading professional association representing owners of hair and beauty salons, the Federation of Holistic Therapists (FHT) as being fit for purpose to prepare you for employment as an advanced senior beauty therapist. Holders of this qualification are eligible to become members of FHT.
It also provides a sound platform for further learning or training. You may also want to undertake our Level 3 Certificate in Epilation.
Course fees are per year. The current fee information is related to the 2019/20 academic year and is subject to change before the start of the course. Fees for 2020/21 will be updated in the Spring Term. There may also be additional costs associated with the course.
This course is funded by the government and may be free if you are:
- Aged 16-18 on 31/08/19
- Aged 19-23 on an Entry Level or Level 1 course with intent to progress to a Level 2 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first full Level 2 or Level 3 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first Level 4 course (if you haven’t already got a Level 3 qualification)
- Aged 19+ on Functions Skills or GCSE English or Maths
- Unemployed and in receipt of JSA/ESA(WRAG)/Universal Credit or another eligible state benefit on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course
- Member of a low income household & in financial hardship on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course