Why study this course?
- Use of outstanding local facilities
- Regular engagement and links with industry professionals
- Additional qualifications and opportunities on the course
On this course, you will study the theoretical side as well as getting involved in actual sports. Above all, you will get the opportunity to get out and take part in the sports that you love. The course usually takes place over three days.
You will benefit from taking part in sport at a variety of outstanding local facilities, including Carus Green Golf Club, Kendal Leisure Centre, Ulverston Tennis Centre, Kendal Squash Club. You will also benefit from small class sizes and will work with industry professionals in a variety of settings to support your career in the Sport and Leisure Industry.
The course involves a variety of visits to enhance student knowledge and the ability to work with employers. Recent trips have included visits to St George's Park (Football Association National Centre), Etihad Campus, Sports City and the Manchester Velodrome.
The course will allow you to develop your organisational skills through planning sports events, motivational skills through delivering exercise sessions and leadership skills through the various additional courses.
This course will be both practical and theory based.
Units and modules include:
- Fitness for Sport and Exercise
- Practical Sports Performance
- Carrying Out a Sports-related Project
- The Mind and Sports Performance
- The Sports Performer in Action
- Training for Personal Fitness
- Anatomy and Physiology for Sports Performance
- Designing Exercise Programmes
- Work Experience in Sport
- Leading Sports Activities
- Lifestyle and Well-being
- Running a Sports Event
- Sports Community Volunteering
Students will complete a variety of assessments throughout the course for example, leaflets and posters, written reports, onscreen test, practical assessments, group discussions and presentations.
All of our learners will be given support with their English and Maths skills where relevant to their main programme. Those students who have not yet achieved a 'C' grade at GCSE in these subjects will continue to work towards these important qualifications at a level suited to them.
You should have four GCSEs at 3 or above, including English, or a Level 1 Diploma at Merit or Distinction.
After Your Course
Progression from one level to another is subject to successful completion of your courses including Functional skills and a tutor reference. As the course is the equivalent of four GCSEs at grade A*-C, you can progress on to higher level study on the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport or gain employment in the sports and leisure industry, or progress to BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Sport, Outdoor & Adventurous activity.
We work closely with Kendal Leisure Centre, and there are many opportunities throughout the year for students to gain employment and support at local sporting events. We also work closely with Carus Green Golf Club, Westmorland FA, Rugby Union South Cumbria, Netherfield Cricket Club, Kendal Rugby Club, Kendal Squash Club and Phoenix Fitness as well as local primary schools to ensure leaners gain essential experience to allow them to progress to higher level studies or employment.
Course fees are per year. The current fee information is related to the 2018/19 academic year and is subject to change before the start of the course. Fees for 2019/20 will be updated in the Spring Term. There may also be additional costs associated with the course.
This course is funded by the government and may be free if you are:
- Aged 16-18 on 31/08/18
- Aged 19-23 on an Entry Level or Level 1 course with intent to progress to a Level 2 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first full Level 2 or Level 3 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first Level 4 course (if you haven’t already got a Level 3 qualification)
- Aged 19+ on Functions Skills or GCSE English or Maths
- Unemployed and in receipt of JSA/ESA(WRAG)/Universal Credit or another eligible state benefit
- Member of a low income household & in financial hardship on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course