You will be taught all of the essential skills needed in modern day barbering, including skin fading, layering, scissor over comb, creating lines and patterns in the hair, shampooing, drying and styling hair.
Sessions will be taught through a mixture of practical workshops and theory lessons, where you will be assessed by practical observations and online multiple choice exams.
You will complete the year with a nationally recognised qualification, a Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Barbering.
The units taught throughout the year are:
- Health and Safety
- Client Consultation
- Shampoo and Condition
- Dry and Finish Men's Hair
- Cutting Men's Hair
- Creating basic outlines and detailing in the hair
- Cutting Facial Hair
- Customer Service
Interview required on application, and work placement is advised.
After Your Course
Other courses of interest may be Level 2 NVQ in Hairdressing, or Level 3 Barbering. Previous students have become self-employed, and even opened their own barbershops!
Course fees are per year for full-time & degree-level courses, and per course for part-time ones. The current full-time & degree-level fee information is related to the 2019/20 academic year and is subject to change before the start of the course. Fees for 2020/21 will be updated in the Spring Term. There may also be additional costs associated with the course.
This course is funded by the government and may be free if you are:
- Aged 16-18 on 31/08/19
- Aged 19-23 on an Entry Level or Level 1 course with intent to progress to a Level 2 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first full Level 2 or Level 3 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first Level 4 course (if you haven’t already got a Level 3 qualification)
- Aged 19+ on Functions Skills or GCSE English or Maths
- Unemployed and in receipt of JSA/ESA(WRAG)/Universal Credit or another eligible state benefit on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course
- Member of a low income household & in financial hardship on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course