The Level 1 Introduction to Vocational Studies is a 1 year Programme of Study specifically for learners who would benefit from a Programme of Study that develops study skills related to independently accessing the college learning environment.
The course is designed as a bridging course for school leavers (16-19 year olds) into a range of college courses or a supported internship.
All learners will be given support to further develop their English and Maths Skills. Those students who have not yet achieved a grade 3 at GCSE in English and Maths will continue to work towards either Functional Skills Level 1 or 2 or GCSE English and/or Maths.
Work-based opportunities are fully embedded within this programme.
The vocational studies programme enables you to not only develop crucial independent study skills needed to access future programmes of study at college, but provides an opportunity to study and experience a variety of vocational areas, in preparation for your progression. These may include Art and Design, Animal Care, Professional Cookery, Care Sectors, Business /IT, Hair and Beauty and Construction.
Opportunities to experience first-hand careers in vocational areas will be embedded throughout the year long programme.
Assessment is through a variety of methods, demonstration of practical skills, discussions, written tasks and oral presentations.
Entry 3 and evidence that you are working towards Level 1.
After Your Course
Progression opportunities include:
Level 1 and 2 course across the College e.g.
- Level 1 Exploring the Care sector
- Level 1 Professional Cookery
- Level 1 Construction
- Level 1 Hairdressing
- Level 1 Beauty
- Level 1 Motor Vehicle
As well as supported internships and employment.
Course fees are per year. The current fee information is related to the 2019/20 academic year and is subject to change before the start of the course. Fees for 2020/21 will be updated in the Spring Term. There may also be additional costs associated with the course.
This course is funded by the government and may be free if you are:
- Aged 16-18 on 31/08/19
- Aged 19-23 on an Entry Level or Level 1 course with intent to progress to a Level 2 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first full Level 2 or Level 3 course
- Aged 19-23 on your first Level 4 course (if you haven’t already got a Level 3 qualification)
- Aged 19+ on Functions Skills or GCSE English or Maths
- Unemployed and in receipt of JSA/ESA(WRAG)/Universal Credit or another eligible state benefit on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course
- Member of a low income household & in financial hardship on an Entry Level, Level 1 or Level 2 course