Cookery School is a 12-18 month apprenticeship providing a bespoke food-based learning journey to understand our farm-to-fork ethos. Rotating across multiple sites in Cumbria, participants have a fantastic opportunity to enhance their passion for food and develop culinary knowledge and skills whilst building a career with a local family business.
Hours of work:
35 hours per week.
£18,200 (£10 to £10.60 an hour, 30 to 40 hours per week).
Westmorland Limited, Penrith.
30th September 2023
We cook real food and sell exceptional produce across multiple sites, including our motorway service areas that celebrate place and craft. A family business started in 1972 from our farm in Cumbria, which runs unique motorway service areas – Tebay, Gloucester and Cairn Lodge – based on no franchises but instead our own Farm Shops and Kitchens. We also have Junction 38, a services dedicated to HGV drivers, Rheged, a meeting place, a Café, a Gallery and Cinema, and the Westmorland Hotel situated on the edge of the Lake District.
Employer website: https://westmorlandfamily.com/
What will the apprentice be doing?
As a Westmorland Cookery School Apprentice, you will work in 8 different stations across seven sites in Cumbria, rotating to a new station every two months. You will undertake different hands-on and practical tasks day-to-day, depending on the location of your station. The stations are as follows:
- Westmorland Hotel Kitchen.
- Junction 38 Services Finishing Kitchen.
- Rheged Café Kitchen.
- Westmorland Production Kitchen.
- Pies, Sausage Rolls and batch cooking.
- Westmorland Kitchen Bakery.
- Tebay Services Hot Plate, Flatbreads & Salads.
- Tebay Services Butchery.
- Tebay Services Finishing Kitchen.
Some general tasks and responsibilities include:
- Prepare and cook food to specification in multiple kitchens.
- Checking food levels and demand to ensure we only offer fresh quality products.
- Help prepare a range of boxed sandwiches and salads, wraps, toasties and snack boxes.
- Keep a clean, tidy and safe kitchen, willing to scrub in whenever needed to ensure an excellent working environment.
- Ensure a high standard of cleanliness and hygiene following all relevant food hygiene and allergy guidelines.
- Complete food hygiene paperwork.
- Communicate with all departments to help keep the flow of delicious food available.
You will play a key role in the back of house, supporting our cooks to deliver a smooth kitchen service, ensuring our high standards are maintained, and the best-tasting and quality food is always on offer to our customers.
You will help ensure the kitchen is efficient and tidy by keeping on top of all cleaning duties, prepping food for the next day's service as directed and assisting with cooking tasks. You will work closely with the chefs in our kitchens to ensure our cooked ingredients are available when needed.
What training will the apprentice take, and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Level 2 Production Chef qualification to be delivered via one day a week study leave at Kendal College.
- Where the apprentice has not already achieved Level 2 English and maths, they will be supported to do so before taking the end-point assessment.
- The role will be based across seven sites in Cumbria.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- On completion of the programme, we will offer all participants a full-time role or the option to extend their learning via a higher-level apprenticeship.
How to apply:
You can find more information & apply for this position on the National Apprenticeship website, which can be accessed by clicking the ‘Apply now’ button.
Be sure to take your time when completing this application, and ensure you consider all the required skills and responsibilities and what you can offer. If you would like support in completing this application, you can access support from our Student Services team.
t 01539 814700