To support the maintenance operative to carry out day to day maintenance on the fabric of the building, its services and grounds in order to ensure that the Home/Care Centre is maintained in a safe and efficient functional order. You will support the maintenance operative whilst undergoing your qualification training.
Hours of work:
37.5 hours per week
Kingston Court, Carlisle
21st December 2020
Kingston Court is a 74 bedded Nursing Home built on a reputation of being a leading, respected and responsive nursing home in Carlisle, Cumbria. We work in partnership with the local authority and NHS trust to ensure a safe and meaningful lifestyle for each individual who resides with us. We are an open and honest culture who take pride in our care provision. We aim to please. The reasons to choose Kingston Court are: It is purpose built for nursing care. We have good CQC ratings, A Happy, friendly, caring staff team, vast range of activities, Homely environment and seamless processes for admissions.
Employer website: https://mariposacare.com/
To support the maintenance operative to carry out day to day maintenance on the fabric of the building, its services and grounds in order to ensure that the Home/Care Centre is maintained in a safe and efficient functional order. As a Apprentice it is expected that you will support the maintenance operative whilst undergoing your qualification training. The Maintenance Operative in post will supervise, mentor, support and develop you as a apprentice.
- Report immediately and support the Maintenance Operative to action any known defects to appliances, damaged furniture / equipment and any other potential hazards to the Estates Team at Head Office, who will advise accordingly
- Support with ensuring the maintenance of the Home’s exterior, including: Externally: weekly sweeping of Path’s / driveways etc.
- Daily sweep of Cigarette ends
- Daily emptying of cigarette Bins
- Daily watering of Hanging Baskets where applicable in season
- Daily/ nightly gritting in the Winter months of all footpaths / Driveways / Car Parking Area, this should extend to clearing of Snow and grit the drive, paths and any areas to which Residents, Visitors or Staff Members have access
- Where applicable, cut the grass around the building and tend to any flowerbeds, hanging baskets etc.
- Clean all signs / lighting outside the Home/Care Centre – except those at height
- All jobs that require attention should be logged in ProNett and/or the maintenance book
- As and when jobs are completed these must be signed off appropriately and dated
- Ensure if applicable that 50% switching off corridor light is applied
- Always switch off lights if rooms are vacant
- Turn down heating thermostats/controllers and radiator valves if rooms are vacant
- Any decoration as and when required in order to maintain standard of Home
- Ensure that gutters and downpipes are free from obstruction especially in Autumn season if accessible if not report appropriately – except those at height
- Test the fire alarm system, and log results, weekly on a Wednesday between 9am and 10am
- Check call points, fire exits, door retaining devices and fire emergency lights, as specified in Company procedures
- Emergency Light Testing and recording in log books provided – however no work on any electrical appliances or fixed electrical installations should be undertaken
- Periodic daily checking of ensuite bathrooms and WC’s to ensure lights are switched off when vacant
- Ventilation fans are connected to light switches & if lights are left on this will burn out the fans
- Ensure all ventilation fans are kept clean & functioning, if not report
- Replace defective bulbs / diffusers as required, as required remove fittings with drop glass or glazed domes & clean out insects / wash & refit
- Test and record, water temperatures as per training and guidance issued
- Ensure all equipment is checked / cleaned etc before a call out for service is made
- Advise when annual P.A.T testing is due
- PAT Tested by Maintenance Operative with the appropriate qualifications/ equipment and recorded or serviced by external companies
- Ensure that paints and varnishes are used and stored only in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions
- Ensure areas in which any painting / varnishing work is being done is well ventilated and safe for Residents, Visitors and Staff Members
- However, the post holder should not be undertaking any task that involve heavy machinery or direct contact with chemicals or paints
- Keeping an appropriate stock of replacement items such as light bulbs etc.
- These to be stored securely
- Stock list to be kept
- To record any emergency calls and / or call outs and pass information to the Manager
- Inform the Estates Team at Head Office of any job that you are unable to carry out. i.e. if a tradesman is required and you have been given clearance to ring direct, list in the back of maintenance book the date of the call, to which it was made, brief details of problem
- When the tradesman calls at the home to carry out repair ensure that you then tick the job off from the back if maintenance book with the date the job was completed
- Only tick off if job appears to be satisfactory
How to apply:
You can find more information & apply for this position on the National Apprenticeship website, which can be accessed by clicking on the ‘Apply now’ button.
Be sure to take your time when completing this application, ensure you consider all the required skills and responsibilities and what you can offer. If you would like any support in completing this application, you can access support from our Student Services Team on 01539 814700 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.