Do you have a passion for Healthcare and Science? Are you excited by the prospect of passing on your knowledge and experience to the next generation of Health and Science students? Have you always dreamed of living and working within an area of natural beauty and vibrant culture?
Contract Term: Permanent
Hours: Part Time (0.6 - 0.8 fte)
Salary: £24,949 – £31,530 pro rata, depending upon qualifications and experience.
Actual Salary: £17,464 - £22,071 pa to £19,959 - £25,224 pa, depending upon qualifications and experience.
Closing Date: 29/09/2020
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a highly competent and enthusiastic Lecturer to join us in delivering outstanding teaching and learning on our Healthcare and Science courses. Both our Health and Science departments deliver BTEC programmes in Medical and Forensic Science at Level 3, Health and Social Care at Levels 2 and 3, as well as A Levels in Biology, Chemistry and Physics. These department areas also deliver Access to Higher Education programmes in Science/Health and Human Sciences for mature learners alongside Degree level apprenticeships. We take an interdisciplinary approach to Health and Science but are keen to hear from applicants with backgrounds/experience in health and science sectors. The successful candidate will be educated to at least Level 3 and capable of sharing their knowledge with our students in an engaging and informative manner that befits their passion for the subject.
Kendal College offers unique and state of the art facilities to our students that provides Lecturers with an exciting place to teach our passionate and dedicated students. Teaching experience is desirable, but we are looking for someone with the confidence to share their experience and knowledge with our students - we would provide support for gaining a formal teaching qualification alongside your work with us.
Why Choose Us
Set within the breath-taking UNESCO World Heritage site of the Lake District, Kendal College is an FE College that consistently punches above its weight on the national stage. Under the leadership of our Principal, Kelvin Nash, Kendal College is embarking on a series of bold steps to grow the College and remain a top-notch education provider for Cumbria and the North West region. Our students are focused on their learning, achieve high levels of attainment and consistently give us high satisfaction ratings. The College recognises the wellbeing of its staff as a priority, as well as ensuring that excellent work is appropriately recognised and that a healthy work-life balance is maintained.
What We Offer
- A generous holiday entitlement.
- 7 efficiency days per year (pro rata) in addition to your hard-earned holiday allocation.
- A College that is committed to developing every student to reach their full potential, irrespective of their ability.
- Collaborative working within our departments and campuses to support our endeavours to work smarter and achieve an effective balance between home and work.
- A dedicated and friendly team of professionals who are keen to develop and learn.
- Excellent CPD opportunities to grow and develop.
- A College that promotes and supports flexible working.
- On-site canteens with locally sourced ingredients.
- A Cycle to Work scheme and discounted gym membership.
- Fantastic facilities to resource your ability to support your students without limitations.
- A comprehensive Staff awards, rewards and wellbeing scheme.
Summary of Responsibilities
- To develop a stimulating an exciting programme for learners.
- To manage and provide good quality teaching and learning to support student achievement.
- To seek to ensure that student retention and achievement targets are met.
- To contribute towards the College’s strategic objectives.
- Provide a safe and healthy environment in which to work and learn.
- Ensure a high quality of adequate resources and materials are provided to enhance learning, thereby enriching the opportunity and experience of learners.
- Safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults.
The Right Person Will Have:
- A recognised teaching qualification or be willing to obtain within 2 years of appointment
- A degree or equivalent qualification in a related discipline
- English & Maths at Level 2 (GCSE A* to C or equivalent)
- Recent experience of teaching in an educational environment
- Recent experience of teaching in an FE/HE environment
- Industry experience in the Healthcare /Science /Social work sector
- Healthcare practices
- Scientific subjects (Biology / Chemistry)
- Psychology and Sociology
- Child protection and safeguarding
- Good general knowledge of health and safety at work in an educational and the relevant vocational environment
- Human Biology
- Practical Laboratory Techniques (titration, microscopy, qualitative and quantitative analysis)
- Psychology (with relation to Forensic Science)
- Knowledge of the field of Criminal Psychology
- Sociological aspects of Healthcare
- Child protection
- Safeguarding of Children and Adults
- Effective communication skills
- Effective presentation skills
- Effective use of ILT to promote teaching and learning and monitor learning
- Ability to provide high quality pastoral care to learners
- Effective classroom management skills
- Comprehensive current technical knowledge and skills commensurate with the required vocational delivery in Healthcare / Science and Social work Sector
Applications without the essential requirements will not normally be considered for appointment.
Kendal College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.