19+ Advanced Learner Loans
Advanced Learner Loans - Invest in your future
If you’re planning to study at Level 3 to 6, apply for an Advanced Learner Loan to cover the cost of your tuition fees. The loan is easy to apply for, doesn’t involve a credit check and you don’t have to pay it back until you’ve finished your course and you’re earning over £25,000 a year.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for an Advanced Learner Loan you need to be:
- Aged 19 or over on the first day of your course
- Resident in the UK for three years prior to the start of the course
- Enrolling on an eligible course at Level 3,4,5 and 6
How much can I access?
The amount you can get depends on your course, the tuition fees and the maximum amounts available for your chosen courses set by the Government. The minimum loan amount is £300 and you don’t have to borrow the full cost of your course - you can pay for some of it yourself.
How do I repay my loan?
Repaying an Advanced Learner Loan is straight forward:
- Monthly repayments are calculated based on your income, not what you borrow.
- You’ll only start making repayments when your income is more than £2,083 per month or £25,000 per year.
- Your repayments will stop if your income drops below £25,000 a year.
- Your annual repayment amount will be 9% of any income you earn over £25,000.
- Monthly repayments are made directly to the Student Loans Company through the tax system.
- You have the right to make payments or to pay back your loan in full at any time without incurring penalties.
- Any balances outstanding are written off after 30 years.
How do I apply?
Once you have identified the qualification you wish to do you’ll need to contact Kendal College's Student Services to apply for the course. We will provide you with a ‘Learning and Funding Information Letter’ that will be required when submitting a loan application.
You can then apply online with Student Finance England (SFE) at www.gov.uk/advancedlearnerloan