Trowel Occupations, Level 3 Apprenticeship
- Course end date:
- 03 Aug 2020
Apprenticeships allow you to gain qualifications whilst working - you will normally study one day per week in college and spend the rest of the week at work, usually at least 30 hours per week.
The L3 Apprenticeship will further develop your skills, knowledge and understanding, enabling you to work and progress to higher levels within the construction industry.
The course will equip you with the skills in health and safety, advanced knowledge of building methods, interpretation of working drawings for complex masonry, setting out complex masonry structures and decorative brickwork.
In some occupational areas bricklayers would be expected to work at height and outside in all seasonal weather conditions. You are likely to need a suitable level of physical fitness to perform some aspects of the job (moving and handling resources, placing and fixing materials).
You could also be expected to travel to sites or in some cases, stay in lodgings whilst working away from home.
You will also spend time at Kendal College gaining your NVQ, Technical Certificate that will be useful in the job market.
What will I learn?
The Level 3 course will involve you working in our fully equipped workshop and will cover all of the theory of the trade as well as the skills needed to eventually become an advanced skilled bricklayer.
You will have an opportunity to work with local materials such as stone and slate including preparation, cutting and setting.
During the course you will study:
- Health, safety and welfare in construction and associated industries.
- Technical information, quantities and communication.
- The construction industry and built environment.
- Repair and maintain masonry structures.
- Construct complex masonry structures.
- Construct decorative features.
How will I be assessed?
The assessment methods used for the qualification will be marking of practical brickwork models and online examinations.
As part of the apprenticeship framework, reviews are completed every 12 weeks by the assessor where progress is discussed by the apprentice, assessor and employer.
Successful achievement of this qualification will provide you with the opportunities to progress to further qualifications and training such as: Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Occupational Work Supervision Technical, Supervisory and Management qualifications or positions within the industry.
You will need four GCSEs at A - D or have completed a Level 2 Diploma in Brickwork.
You must be employed for a minimum of 30 hours a week in the professional area that your Apprenticeship is in.
Looking for Employment? See below for what to do next…
- Apply for this apprenticeship. We can then support you to find employment and prepare your job application.
- Register your details with the National Apprenticeship Matching Service (NAS) and search online for vacancies at www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship
- Check the College’s website page regularly (sometimes employers only want to recruit locally and so they advertise on our website and not the NAS website): www.kendal.ac.uk/apprenticeships/apprentice/
- Make sure your CV is up to date and is relevant to the job industry you are applying to.
Please note: If you are an adult student you may be entitled to financial support to cover the cost of your course, dependent on your circumstances. Please contact Student Services on firstname.lastname@example.org for details. More about Student Finance.
Apply for Trowel Occupations, Level 3 Apprenticeship
Also in Construction
- → Bench Joinery (Construction), Level 2
- → Bench Joinery (Construction), Level 3
- → Carpentry and Joinery (Construction), Level 1
- → Site Carpentry (Construction), Level 2
- → Site Carpentry (Construction), Level 3