Residential Childcare, Level 3 Apprenticeship
- Course end date:
- 02 Aug 2019
This Apprenticeship covers a wide range of job roles, including:
Working in settings such as residential care homes, residential special
schools, therapeutic communities, secure children’s homes, shared care and
short break settings. Responsible for promoting a caring, healthy, stimulating,
safe, secure environment for children and young people in their care.
The Children’s Homes (England) Regulations (2015) state that any individual working in residential childcare ‘has the appropriate experience ..... for the work that the individual is to perform’ (para 32.3 b). It is therefore likely that learners will be aged 18 or over, but this will be at the discretion of the registered manager rather than a legal requirement.
The qualifications you will gain as an apprentice are:
- Pearson BTEC Level 3 Diploma for Residential Childcare
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
- Employment Responsibilities and Rights
- Functional Skills Level 2 Mathematics
- Functional Skills Level 2 English
- Functional Skills Level 2 ICT
What will I learn?
The Level 3 Diploma course consists of 16 mandatory units and additional optional units that make a total of 61 credits.
Units offered include understanding the development of children and young people in residential childcare, how to support positive outcomes for children and young people, and how to support children and young people who have experienced harm or abuse.
See more at:
How will I be assessed?
This will be assessed using a range of methods including direct observation within the workplace, a portfolio of evidence, written assignments, questioning and witness testimony from your colleagues and managers.
This pathway provides the suitable level of occupational competence to meet minimum regulatory and registration requirements for the sector.
Achievement of this pathway will enable apprentices to access higher level jobs within the sector, e.g. senior residential childcare worker, advanced practitioner in residential childcare, senior support worker in residential childcare.
There is also opportunity for apprentices to go on to further study at higher levels, particularly working towards:
- Level 5 Diploma in Leadership and Management for Residential Childcare
- Foundation Degrees in Health & Social Care or Therapeutic care
You must be employed for a minimum of 30 hours a week in the professional area that your Apprenticeship is in (we may be able to help you find an employer to complete your Apprenticeship with). The care environment can be in the public, private or voluntary sector and cover the full spectrum of care environments. You cannot have an existing qualification at a higher level than the Apprenticeship framework you have chosen. You need to be living in England and not taking part in full-time education.
When we have received your application, you will be interviewed by an assessor.
It is possible that learners may come to this pathway without any prior qualifications. However, as the level of this pathway (level 3) determines that the apprentice should be working at a level where they may either be working on their own or supervising others, the apprentice should have prior experience of the sector and be employed in a position whereby they would be able to demonstrate the competencies required at this level.
Looking for Employment? See below for what to do next…
- Apply for this apprenticeship. We can then support you to find employment and prepare your job application.
- Register your details with the National Apprenticeship Matching Service (NAS) and search online for vacancies at www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship
- Check the College’s website page regularly (sometimes employers only want to recruit locally and so they advertise on our website and not the NAS website): www.kendal.ac.uk/apprenticeships/apprentice/
- Make sure your CV is up to date and is relevant to the job industry you are applying to.
Please note: If you are an adult student you may be entitled to financial support to cover the cost of your course, dependent on your circumstances. Please contact Student Services on email@example.com for details. More about Student Finance.
Enquire about Residential Childcare, Level 3 Apprenticeship
Also in Childhood Studies
- → Education & Training (Ascentis), Level 4 Certificate
- → Children and Young Peoples Workforce, Level 2 Certificate
- → Children’s Learning & Development (Early Years Educator), Level 3 Diploma
- → Paediatric First Aid
- → Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools, Level 2 Certificate