Plumbing, Level 3 Apprenticeship
- Course end date:
- 03 Aug 2019
Apprenticeships allow you to gain qualifications whilst working - you will normally study one day per week in college and spend the rest of the week at work, usually at least 30 hours per week. The NVQ Diploma in Plumbing is the industry recognised qualification for the plumbing industry. It is designed to provide evidence of occupational competence for working within the plumbing mechanical service environment.
What will I learn?
You will study all of the following: cold water, hot water, electrical, sanitation, tightness testing and central heating. There will be on site assessments and portfolio building for two of the above subjects.
Functional Skills are the essential and highly valued skills that we use in our everyday lives, both at work and at home, that allow you to contribute more effectively to the business you work in and achieve your full potential.
Maths (Understanding written number clearly and accurately, recording figures, ordering and understanding stock lists , graphs, charts, counting stock, producing charts and graphs for information).
English (Understanding written and graphical information e.g. messages, orders, safety signs, notices, labels and instructions).
Employer Rights and Responsibilities enable you to properly understand and appreciate the many aspects of your working environment (e.g. working hours, health and safety). Being more aware of your responsibilities as an employee will make your workplace a safer and more efficient operation.
You can obtain further qualifications linked to Industry depending on your employment.
How will I be assessed?
Assessment will be via:
- Portfolio of evidence (on-site, workshop and separate gas portfolio)
- On-line tests
- Practical college based assessments
- Practical work based on site assessments
As part of the apprenticeship framework, reviews are completed every 12 weeks by the Assessor where progress is discussed by the learner, assessor and employer.
This qualification aids career progression within the plumbing industry.
You will need four GCSEs at A*-C including English or Maths. You should be employed within a plumbing environment for 30 hours per week..
Applicants may be required to attend an interview with the course tutor. An applicant must be able to demonstrate the potential ability and attributes to successfully achieve the knowledge, skills and competency requirements of this Apprenticeship.
Applicants should also be aware that their work may involve varied working conditions including:
- Working in outside and in adverse weather conditions, e.g. temperature variations
- Shiftwork (may include nights and weekends)
- Working at height
- Working in confined spaces
- Working within highly regulated and controlled areas
- Working within high hazard environments
- Wearing specialist safety equipment
- Working away from home
Looking for employment?
- Apply for this apprenticeship. We can then support you to find employment and prepare your job application.
- Register your details with the National Apprenticeship Matching Service (NAS) and search online for vacancies at
- Check the College’s website page regularly (sometimes employers only want to recruit locally and so they advertise on our website and not on NAS website): www.kendal.ac.uk/apprenticeships/apprentice/
- Make sure your CV is up to date and is relevant to the job industry you are applying to.
Please note: If you are an adult student you may be entitled to financial support to cover the cost of your course, dependent on your circumstances. Please contact Student Services on firstname.lastname@example.org for details. Fees will be confirmed in the Spring Term. More about Student Finance.
Apply for Plumbing, Level 3 Apprenticeship
Also in Construction
- → Construction and the Built Environment, Level 3 Diploma
- → Furniture Design & Making, Level 3 Diploma
- → In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment (PAT), Level 3 Award
- → Periodic Inspection Testing and Certification of Electrical Installations, Level 3 Award
- → Requirements for Electrical Installation BS7671:June 2008 (2011) (QCF), Level 3 Award