Nail Services, Level 2 Apprenticeship
- Course end date:
- 03 Aug 2019
Apprenticeships allow you to gain qualifications whilst working - you will normally study one day per week in college and spend the rest of the week at work, usually at least 30 hours per week. They are available at two levels, the Intermediate and the Advanced Apprenticeship.
This apprenticeship will equip you with the skills to be able to provide an effective range of specialist nail services, including gel nails, acrylic, fibreglass, nail art and other treatments, whilst working in a salon and earning a wage.
You will be encouraged to develop a professional attitude by working on your skills in communication/ interpersonal skills, personal appearance and social behaviour.
What will I learn?
The level 2 NVQ Diploma in Nail Services is a job ready qualification which requires learners to demonstrate in the workplace the skills and knowledge required in the Nail industry. The learner will study skills such as salon reception duties, promote additional services or products to clients, provide manicure and pedicure services, nail art services, apply and maintain nail enhancements to create a natural finish and provide aftercare advice.
There are eight units that you need to complete:
- Provide nail art service
- Extend, maintain and repair nails
- Provide manicure treatment
- Provide pedicure treatment
- Ensure your own actions reduce risks to health and safety
- Promote additional products or services to clients
- Develop and maintain your effectiveness at work
Students also get involved in shows and competitions
How will I be assessed?
The majority of the qualification is completed through practical assessments. These can be college based as part of your timetable or completed in the work place with your assessor.
As part of the apprenticeship framework, reviews are completed every 12 weeks by the assessor where progress is discussed by the apprentice, assessor and employer.
Recognition of your qualifications by employers can lead to rapid career development in the workplace or progression on to higher levels of study.
For Level 2, you should have four GCSEs at grade A*-D, including English.
This Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy industry has high client expectations and relies on repeat business so importance is given to:
- Appropriate personal presentation including clothing, hair and personal hygiene.
- Practical, organisational and social skills.
- Attention to detail and cleanliness.
- A good sense of humour/amicable nature and communication skills whether dealing face to face with clients or speaking on the telephone.
- Willingness to work flexible hours/days as agreed in the employment contract.
- A high degree of dexterity and coordination.
Potential apprentices with a predisposition to certain skin conditions or allergies, such as occupational dermatitis, eczema or asthma, need to understand that some of the chemicals, liquids and aerosols used in beauty therapy may have a significant effect on their health.
Colour blindness would restrict opportunities in the wide use of artificial colouring products and services in the industry. Units relating to make-up application and nail services require the ability to recognise tones, shades and changes in a range
Looking for Employment? See below for what to do next…
- Apply for this apprenticeship. We can then support you to find employment and prepare your job application.
- Register your details with the National Apprenticeship Matching Service (NAS) and search online for vacancies at www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship
- Check the College’s website page regularly (sometimes employers only want to recruit locally and so they advertise on our website and not the NAS website): www.kendal.ac.uk/apprenticeships/apprentice/
- Make sure your CV is up to date and is relevant to the job industry you are applying to.
- Contact local businesses and see if they have any vacancies available.
Please note: If you are an adult student you may be entitled to financial support to cover the cost of your course, dependent on your circumstances. Please contact Student Services on email@example.com for details. Fees will be confirmed in the Spring Term. More about Student Finance.
Apply for Nail Services, Level 2 Apprenticeship
Also in Hairdressing, Beauty and Integrated Therapies
- → Barbering, Level 2 Certificate
- → Barbering, Level 2 NVQ Diploma
- → Barbering, Level 3 Diploma
- → Hairdressing, Level 2 Certificate
- → Hairdressing, Level 2 NVQ