Hospitality & Event Leadership
- Courses starting September. Call 01539 814700 for details.
The Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Hospitality is a two year full time qualification. You complete the 90-credit Diploma in the first year and the Extended Diploma in the second year. The two-year course is equivalent to 3 A-Levels and is worth up to 168 UCAS points (Triple Distinction*) or 144 UCAS points (Triple Distinction). UCAS have recently changed the UCAS Tariff from September 2017 so they could include more qualifications. The new Tariff points are lower than the original Tariff points but the value remains the same, as universities will just use lower Tariff numbers in their entry requirements than in previous years.
The course provides comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the hospitality and catering industry, preparing students with the knowledge and skills to progress to supervisory level roles.
The course prepares learners for a career in the hospitality and catering industry in various roles so has a huge focus on employability skills. Learners are involved with a range of trips and visits, guest speakers and also undertake relevant work experience.
During the course students will be taught using a range of different methods, including lectures, practical sessions, educational visits and visiting speakers. Students will work in the college training kitchens and in the realistic working environment which is made up of our main production kitchen and restaurant.
Teaching methods include:
- Practical activities - learners develop skills required for the workplace in practical cookery and restaurant & bar service as well as high profile event organisation.
- Case studies - these will be based on information from real life hospitality and catering businesses. This will involve visiting catering establishments.
- Class Discussions - a lot of lessons will be based around this where students have the opportunity to express their own opinions and ideas.
- Group Discussions - students will be in a smaller group discussing ideas and concepts.
All of our learners will be given support with their English and Maths skills where relevant to their main programme. Those students who have not yet achieved a ‘C’ grade at GCSE in these subjects will continue to work towards these important qualifications at a level suited to them.
The Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Hospitality consists of a varied range of units, including some of the following:
- The Hospitality Industry
- Events Organisation in Hospitality
- Planning & Managing a Hospitality Event
- Food Service Organisation
- Principles of Supervising Customer Service Performance in Hospitality
- Providing Customer Service in Hospitality
- Financial Control in Hospitality
- Food and Drink Service
- European Food
- Contemporary World Food
- Alcoholic Beverage Service
- Personal Selling & Promotional Skills in Hospitality
Each unit is assessed by a variety of assignment tasks, both written and practical.
Each unit will be graded PASS, MERIT or DISTINCTION. A DISTINCTION grade can gain 360 UCAS points.
In order to gain the full qualification all units must be successfully completed.
This course will be part of a wider study programme, which may also include english & maths, work placement and additional studies.
How will I be assessed?
Students who study this Hospitality BTEC will have access to a range of higher education opportunities including HND, Foundation Degrees and BA Honours Degrees, courses may include Culinary Arts Management, Hospitality Management and Events Management.
Progression routes at Kendal college include HND in Hospitality Management.
Employment routes include trainee supervisor, hotel receptionist, trainee hotel manager, sales co-ordinator, wedding co-ordinator.
The types of employers include hotels, restaurants, cruise ships, holiday resorts, conference centres, holiday parks.
Four GCSEs grade C or above including GCSE English and Maths or
Level 2 NVQ, Diploma or equivalent in Catering.
An interview and assessment will assess your suitability and interest in the industry.
Please note: If you are an adult student you may be entitled to financial support to cover the cost of your course, dependent on your circumstances. Please contact Student Services on email@example.com for details. More about Student Finance.