- Course start date:
- 12 Sep 2018
- Course end date:
- 21 Jun 2019
- 09:00 - 10:30
A Level Economics will give you the opportunity to examine a range of topics such as economic performance, market failure, income distribution and understanding the UK and global economy. You will complete the AS Level in the first year and the A2 in the second to form a full A Level.
Studying Economics offers a unique insight into how the world works and will help students to understand many of the big questions facing people today such as:
- What are the economic consequences of leaving the European Union?
- How badly will the UK be affected by an extended period of low, global growth?
- How can industry tackle global warming?
- Is there a value to the market place in reducing VAT?
- How can problems of poverty and inequality be addressed?
This subject is therefore of particular interest to students who seek answers to a range of topical questions and also to those who aspire to careers in stimulating and rewarding sectors of the economy. Economics provides students with the skills to analyse issues to a high standard and provides an excellent foundation for higher education in such areas as Economics, Finance, Business, Management and Accountancy, Politics and Philosophy.
The course can be taken in the following ways:
- As a stand-alone part-time course.
- As an ‘add on’ to a Full Time Level 3 Study Programme at the College, for example alongside a BTEC Extended Diploma.
- As part of a study programme with another two A-Levels (full-time package).
What will I learn?
This course will help you:
- Develop an interest and enthusiasm for economics and its contribution to the wider political and social environment
- Develop an understanding of a range of concepts and acquire an ability to use these concepts in a variety of different contexts
- Develop an enquiring, critical and thoughtful ‘economist’s mind’
- Practice skills, qualities and attitudes which will equip them for the challenges, opportunities and responsibilities of adult and working life
- Develop an understanding of current economic issues, problems and institutions that affect everyday life
- Apply economic concepts and theories in a range of contexts and appreciate their value and limitations in explaining real world phenomena
- Analyse, explain and evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the market economy and the role of government within it.
You will develop the attributes necessary to understand and analyse data, think critically about issues and make informed decisions. You will also develop quantitative skills and appreciate that, when evaluating arguments, both qualitative and quantitative evidence are important.
How will I be assessed?
This course has no coursework or controlled assessment units. It is not necessary for students to have studied GCSE Economics before starting work on this specification and no prior knowledge of economics is necessary. There are written examinations in each year which cover the content of the A-Level specification.
Many students who enjoy, and successfully complete, this subject typically progress onto a range of degree courses including: Economics and related degrees. Economics students develop the kind of skills that employers demand and often progress to work for large corporations, banks and the government. A qualification in Economics can also be valuable support in a career like marketing, law, journalism, retail or teaching.
The entry requirements for this course are:
5 GCSEs at Grade 5 or above (A*-C) which must include Maths and English Language at Grade 6 (or B).
If you would like to apply for the full-time package (3-4 AS-Levels) please complete a full-time application form.
If you would llike to study this course part-time, please contact the tutor:
Sinead Kay: Sinead.Kay@kendal.ac.uk
Please note: If you are an adult student you may be entitled to financial support to cover the cost of your course, dependent on your circumstances. Please contact Student Services on email@example.com for details. More about Student Finance.
Enquire about Economics, A-Level
Ready to apply for this course? Complete an Enrolment Form today