Barbering, Level 2 Apprenticeship
- Course end date:
- 03 Aug 2019
Apprenticeships allow you to gain qualifications whilst working - you will normally study one day per week in college and spend the rest of the week at work, usually at least 30 hours per week. They are available at two levels, the Intermediate and the Advanced Apprenticeship.
This apprenticeship will equip you with the skills to provide a comprehensive suite of gents barbering services, including cutting, colouring, clippering, styling and general grooming, to either broaden the services of an existing hairdressing salon or in a gents’ barbers.
What will I learn?
To achieve the level 2 NVQ Diploma, candidates must complete a range of units which include:
- Advise and consult with clients
- Shampoo, condition and treat the hair and scalp
- Cut men’s hair using basic techniques
- Cut facial hair to shape using basic techniques
Optional units are:
- Fulfil salon reception duties
- Colour and lighten men’s hair
How will I be assessed?
The majority of the qualification is completed through practical assessments. These can be college based as part of your timetable or completed in the work place with your assessor.
As part of the apprenticeship framework, reviews are completed every 12 weeks by the assessor where progress is discussed by the apprentice, assessor and employer.
Completion of the Apprenticeship can lead to the Advanced Apprenticeship. Recognition of your qualifications by employers can lead to rapid career development in the workplace or progression on to a higher level of study.
For Level 2, you should have four GCSEs at grade A*-D, including English.
This Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy industry has high client expectations and relies on repeat business so importance is given to:
- Appropriate personal presentation including clothing, hair and personal hygiene.
- Practical, organisational and social skills.
- Attention to detail and cleanliness.
- A good sense of humour/amicable nature and communication skills whether dealing face to face with clients or speaking on the telephone.
- Willingness to work flexible hours/days as agreed in the employment contract.
- A high degree of dexterity and coordination.
You must be employed for a minimum of 30 hours a week in the professional area that your Apprenticeship is in. Looking for Employment? See below for what to do next…
- Apply for this apprenticeship. We can then support you to find employment and prepare your job application.
- Register your details with the National Apprenticeship Matching Service (NAS) and search online for vacancies at www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship
- Check the College’s website page regularly (sometimes employers only want to recruit locally and so they advertise on our website and not the NAS website): www.kendal.ac.uk/apprenticeships/apprentice/
- Make sure your CV is up to date and is relevant to the job industry you are applying to.
Please note: If you are an adult student you may be entitled to financial support to cover the cost of your course, dependent on your circumstances. Please contact Student Services on email@example.com for details. More about Student Finance.
Apply for Barbering, Level 2 Apprenticeship
Also in Hairdressing, Beauty and Integrated Therapies
- → Hairdressing, Level 2
- → Hairdressing, Level 3
- → Hairdressing, Level 2 Apprenticeship
- → Hairdressing, Level 3 Apprenticeship
- → Beauty Therapy, Level 2