IT Apprentice - Gilbert Gilkes & Gordon Ltd
Employer description: Gilkes is a global business, with a proud tradition and excellent future. With us, you’ll work with world-class engineers and other professionals who are passionate about passing on their knowledge enabling you to build confidence, experience and your career. Our program mixes academic study with practical work and real performance.
Brief overview: Primarily the apprentice will sit within the Network and Systems area although some application support will be expected. You will work with world-class engineers and other professionals who are passionate about passing on their knowledge enabling you to build confidence, experience and your career.
Vacancy description: We are enthusiastic about learning, developing and investing in your career. Become qualified and debt-free with a competitive salary.Gilkes is a global business, with a proud tradition and excellent future. With us, you’ll work with world-class engineers and other professionals who are passionate about passing on their knowledge enabling you to build confidence, experience and your career, our program mixes academic study with practical work and real performance.
Our IT Department is split into two areas – ‘Application Support’, (covering our business applications, database, reporting etc.) and ‘Network & Systems’, (covering infrastructure, hardware & operations software).
Primarily the apprentice role will sit within the Network and Systems area although some application support will be expected.
Help Desk Support (Network & Systems):
- Handle incoming requests on the IT Helpdesk System as a first point of contact.
- Resolve problems via remote support tools, by visiting the user’s workplace or escalate to higher tier support where appropriate.
- Helpdesk 1st line support, involving basic troubleshooting & responding to service requests in a timely fashion and in line with Service Level Agreements.
- Diagnosis of computer hardware, software and network problems.
- Hardware installation / removal, including physical PC deployment.
- Software installation / removal.
- Configuring and testing software and hardware installation.
- Printer support, including adding printers, fixing paper jams, replacing toners.
- Assisting with cabling rooms & desks.
- Maintenance of a knowledge base of procedures and solutions to commonly reported faults.
- Assisting IT Team members with ad hoc duties as required.
- Provide support on the ERP system and other business applications.
- Assist in Project tasks such as user set up, system set up, documentation.
REQUIREMENTS AND PROSPECTS
- Excellent communication skills
- Good problem-solving skills
- Good knowledge of computer software and hardware, networks and operating systems.
- Desire to learn new things
- Passion for IT
- Willingness to attend Kendal College on a weekly basis to undertake the relevant Apprenticeship training.
- If candidates do not have A*-C (4-9) in Maths & English at GCSE there will be a requirement to do Functional Skills up to Level 2 during the apprenticeship.
- You will gain excellent experience and training during this apprenticeship. Towards the end of the apprenticeship, a decision will be made as to whether there is a permanent role on offer. This will depend on the performance throughout the apprenticeship and the opportunity to offer a permanent position at that time. If a permanent position is not available, the apprentice will be given support to find alternative employment by the employer and Kendal College.
Things to consider:
- Those interested should consider transport links to work and college locations before applying to ensure they are a reasonable travelling distance.
Hours of work:
£216.76 per week
Kendal, LA9 7BZ
22 Jun 2018
How to apply:
Firstly, you can apply for this position, by clicking on the 'apply now' button.
IN ORDER TO ENSURE YOUR APPLICATION IS FULLY CONSIDERED, APPLICANTS ALSO NEED TO APPLY TO THE EMPLOYER DIRECTLY. APPLICATIONS SHOULD BE MADE TO SHEILA JONES, HR ADMINISTRATOR VIA EMAIL (firstname.lastname@example.org) ATTACHING BOTH A CV AND COVERING LETTER DETAILING WHY YOU ARE INTERESTED/SUITABLE FOR THIS ROLE, BY THE CLOSING DATE OF THE 22ND OF JUNE 2018.
Be sure to take your time when completing this application, ensure you consider all the required skills and responsibilities and what you can offer. If you would like any support in completing this application, you can access support from Student Services at Kendal College on 01539 814725.