Apprentice Teaching Assistant - Sandgate School
Brief overview of the role: The role is for an Apprentice Teaching Assistant in our busy and vibrant school in Kendal. You will be based in a class of students with a range of special educational needs and help to support teaching, learning and care by working with individuals or small groups of pupils. You will build relationships with the staff team and students and help to develop the students to their greatest potential.
- Help to deliver planned learning activities/teaching programmes as agreed with the teacher, adjusting activities according to pupils' responses.
- Support the teacher in monitoring pupil progress and behaviour in order to contribute to the planning and evaluation of learning activities.
- Provide feedback to pupils in relation to attainment and progress under the guidance of the teacher.
- Support learning by arranging resources for lessons/activities under the direction of the teacher.
- Support pupils’ social, emotional and physical wellbeing, and reporting concerns to the appropriate person.
- Be aware and comply with all school policies and procedures including code of conduct, child protection, health and safety, security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to a nominated person.
- Encourage independent learning and promote inclusion of all pupils in and outside of the classroom and escorting and supervising pupils on educational visits and out of school activities.
- Select, prepare and clear away classroom materials and learning areas ensuring they are available for use, including developing and presenting displays. This may include out of school activities and after school events.
- Share information about pupils with other staff as appropriate whilst keeping confidentiality as paramount importance.
- Use your initiative to deal with issues that arise and encourage pupils to take responsibility for their own behaviour whilst working within the context of school policies and plans.
- Good communication skills
- The ability to think for yourself and problem solve issues
- The ability to be flexible and adaptable-no two days are the same here!
- The ability to work in a large team
- A professional approach and manner
- A calm manner and approach
- A sense of humour
- A willingness to learn
- An interest in individuals, how they learn and how to motivate them.
- To demonstrate confidentiality
Apprentices at our school need to be able to listen to staff and students and understand what students need from them.
GCSE English Language: D (Grade 3) or above (or equivalent)
GCSE maths: D (Grade 3) or above (or equivalent)
- Once you have completed your apprenticeship, you will be eligible to apply for any Teaching Assistant positions which become vacant within our school or any other school
- Due to the needs of our students, you will find the skills you learn with us, will be very useful in any school environment that you apply to be in.
Things to consider:
- The work here is varied with a great group of adults and young people. It can be very challenging at times in terms of the demands which the students sometimes put on us.
Questions for candidates:
- Would you be happy to assist students during activities such as swimming, canoeing or on residential visits, as we have a very varied timetable of activities for our students?
- What do you hope to gain from an apprenticeship at Sandgate school?
TO BE FULLY CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- You must complete both the application on the National Apprenticeship Website, before then further requesting an application form from oue School by contacting Amanda Cookson on 01539 792100 or firstname.lastname@example.org, who will then email or send you the application form relevant to the post.
Hours of work:
£3.70 National Minimum Wage
04 Jun 2018
How to apply:
You can start your application for this position, by clicking on the 'apply now' button.
Be sure to take your time when completing this application, ensure you consider all the required skills and responsibilities and what you can offer. If you would like any support in completing this application, you can access support from Student Services at Kendal College on 01539 814725.
TO BE FULLY CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Please complete the online apprentice application on the National Apprenticeship Service Website
- Then contact Amanda Cookson (Sandgate School) who can arrange to send you the relevant application form directly. Amanda can be reached by calling 01539 792100 or emailing email@example.com.