Apprentice Childcare Assistant - Nichola Packham Childcare
About the employer: This employer became registered as a childminder in 1991 and have built up a business that is now registered with Ofsted as Childcare on domestic premises. She looks after children aged from birth to 11 years and currently has 38 preschool children and 16 children attending the setting. The setting is in her own home, where she employs assistants to help look after the children. The setting can be split into two with a playroom and craft room in the basement and similiar on the ground floor, as well as a garden and garden room.
Brief overview: We are looking for someone to help in all areas including playing and assisting with all activities for the children, completing observations and next steps on the Tapestry App and accompanying staff on delivering and collecting the nursery/playgroup and school children. Help in keeping the setting clean and tidy will also be required.
The day begins as you walk in the door with the children asking questions and for help before you've got your coat off. The main responsibility is to care for all the children within the setting. Helping them learn, encouraging them to be independent but offering support whenever it is needed, comforting them when necessary. You have a responsibility to demonstrate good behaviour and consideration for others.
Other duties include:
- Working with the babies including feeding, rocking to sleep or just cuddling to settle them
- Sometimes working with one child or group doing an activity, so be prepared to get muddy/ covered in paint/water etc
- Helping the children in a planned activity, completing observations to help monitor development whilst assessing what the best next steps would be
- Helping to prepare the snacks and supporting the children during snack time and lunch, feeding the babies that need assistance
- Taking turns with housekeeping duties towards the end of the working day.
REQUIREMENTS AND PROSPECTS
- The candidate should have a love of children
- Previous experience of working with children would be advantageous
- They should be punctual
- The candidate should be very discreet and understand that what happens in the setting is confidential.
- The candidate must be able to act as a positive role model for the children in regards to their attitude and manners
- They must be able to work well in a team and be confident to ask for help when required
- The candidate should be able to take instruction and be generally willing and helpful.
- They must have a Grade C or Level 4 (or predicted to achieve) GCSE or equivalent qualification in English and maths.
- If the candidate excels then there may be a pay rise within the year. There is the possibility of progressing to the Level 3 qualification or gaining employment upon the completion of the apprenticeship
- Nichola Packham Childcare has employed every apprentice she has had to date with one rising to management.
Things to consider:
- We try to take the children out everyday and always walk to school so the candidate must be prepared to go out in all weathers and be aware that they will come into contact with all the childhood germs.
Hours of work:
£3.70 National Minimum Wage for Apprentices
Sedbergh, LA10 5DF
20 Jul 2018
How to apply:
You can apply for this position, by clicking on the 'apply now' button.
Be sure to take your time when completing this application, ensure you consider all the required skills and responsibilities and what you can offer. If you would like any support in completing this application, you can access support from Student Services at Kendal College on 01539 814725.